Discuss Passive flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me, is residue from passive flux such as "la-co" corrosive after the soldering process is complete?

Thanks.
yes its worst than passive smoking your arms/legs/fingers/lungs/head/todger/nose etc might rot away and fall off

They tell me that laco is only active when heat is being applied that was why it use to be the preferred choice

yes its worst than passive smoking your arms/legs/fingers/lungs/head/todger/nose etc might rot away and fall off

Hmm is it worse than say powerflux? I thought la-co was non-toxic and therefore not as bad for you in terms of fumes and irritation etc.

Hmm is it worse than say powerflux? I thought la-co was non-toxic and therefore not as bad for you in terms of fumes and irritation etc.

powerflux is not recommended for gas pipework, laco is. what the difference is i cant say for sure. powerflux is acid based from memory.

yes it is acid based, and i dont like the smell of it either.

from the fernox website

Powerflow Flux has been successfully used in gas systems for many years. However there are people who
prefer not to use a self-cleaning flux in a gas pipe system. If this is a concern, then Fry Fluxite Paste flux is
recommended.

from la-co hazard sheet
Potential Health Effects ACUTE (short term): see Section 8 for exposure controls
Relevant Route(s) of Exposure: Skin contact, Inhalation.
Inhalation: Inhalation of vapors is not expected with normal use. Over exposure to high vapor
concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation, sore throat, coughing and difficulty
breathing. High concentrations may also cause dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting or in
extreme cases, unconsciousness or asphyxiation.
Ingestion: Not an expected route of occupational exposure. Low oral toxicity. Swallowing large
quantities may cause abdominal and chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or dizziness.
Aspiration into the lungs may occur during swallowing or from vomiting, resulting in lung injury.
Skin: This product has been tested and found to be non-irritating to skin.
Eye: This product has been tested and found to be non-irritating to eyes. Solids may cause
temporary irritation as a foreign object in the eye.

from the powerflux hazard sheet

Section 07 Health Hazard Data
Eye: Irritant. May cause corneal injury.
Skin Contact: Irritant.
Skin Absorption: No evidence of adverse effects.
Ingestion: May irritate or burn digestive tract.
Inhalation: Fumes will irritate nasal lining.
Systemic & Other Effects: N/A

think i will stick with the non-toxic, non irritant,non blinding and non acid la-co:44:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Passive flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
B
Hi there, Have bought an old house and am having the old lead water mains pipe replaced and a new stopcock location/piping installed after...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock