Discuss Passover bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get yourself one of these:

bender.jpg

thats cheating lol

I know - I refused to use them but then a plumbing friend told me not to be so up tight. Last year I used a couple, customer came in and saw them and said "That's really neat!"

To be honest, I could never bend them like a manufacturer - they'll always be a few degrees off true.

Tomplumb is good.

Pull the 1st bend 30 degrees. measure and reverse pipe and pull another bend, do you use a grid? easy that way!!

Just use pushfit plastic. Simples.

Seriously, once you're out of college and in the real world most people just bend by eye. Occasionally I'll draw a passover or offset but most of the time it's not that critical and as long as all of them in an area look the same that's all that matters.

On the issue of bending, do they teach maintenance of bending machines at college now? I was working with a guy and his bending machine started throating the tube. He thought he was going to have to buy a new machine. I stripped and cleaned it, got the seized rollers going again and cleaned up the formers and guides. He'd never even been told the importance of keeping the formers and guides clean and in good condition. I never did get a drink out of him for saving him the cost of a new bender.

Many thanks to all who replied. I hope that some of the hints and tips will prove useful to me.

Its much appreciated. Ill get the hang of it.

Just use pushfit plastic. Simples.

Seriously, once you're out of college and in the real world most people just bend by eye. Occasionally I'll draw a passover or offset but most of the time it's not that critical and as long as all of them in an area look the same that's all that matters.

On the issue of bending, do they teach maintenance of bending machines at college now? I was working with a guy and his bending machine started throating the tube. He thought he was going to have to buy a new machine. I stripped and cleaned it, got the seized rollers going again and cleaned up the formers and guides. He'd never even been told the importance of keeping the formers and guides clean and in good condition. I never did get a drink out of him for saving him the cost of a new bender.

I wish it was that easy! I know most would bend by eye but unfortunately you have to show that you can pull bends and measure accurately.

The stuff ive used at college is all used anyway but to be fair it still works fine, the only issue being that the 45 and 90 degree marks on the bender were quite a way out. That was on a hand bender, I think LCS bending with hydraulics will be when I do my next lot of training.

Our first lesson was to bend 90 degrees then measure the pipe and mark the benders accordingly.

Use a bevel.....meaure the required angle with the bevel and secure, place copper in machine ready to bend with bevel handle held on top of the guide then bend and match the copper angle to that of the bevel. This is still by eye but both are close together so no real issues.

At college I remember being taught the pipe in slot method. In the real world bending isn't required to be ultra critical.

It's not often you find a true 90 degree corner in buildings anyway.

Agree. I just remember my first 'awkward' angle which was surface mounted so on show....took me ages to get it right and I think I wasted 3m of copper!! Was given this tip as an easy solution to save the boss time (money) as we were working in a block of flats all with the same layout...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Passover bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back