Discuss Pipe bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUCIALIA

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Are there any 'tricks of the trade' that someone could kindly pass on with regards to bending passover bends as i'm finding them a right pain to master......:mad:

me to mate there a nightmare, think i had a good 7 or 8 bends before i got it right. i have seen places where you can buy the crossover bends ready to go,but not sure if it would be worth it in the real world??

i have seen places where you can buy the crossover bends ready to go,but not sure if it would be worth it in the real world??

Very expensive and pointless, you're definitely better off making your own.

I use this method, you should get used to it after a bit.

This ruler should help you find the correct angles.

Are there any 'tricks of the trade' that someone could kindly pass on with regards to bending passover bends as i'm finding them a right pain to master......:mad:
just buy the end feed ones quicker and tighter than you can get with a bender and if you have to do several on show perfect every time

I find if you flaten the pipework first you can bend it around your thumb

like everything it comes with lots of practise but i would prob save my time and buy preformed as stated a bender cant reproduce the tight ones

I was taught to do the first bend at around 45 degrees then turn the pipe over and fitting the bend as close to the bender as possible, bend until the "second straight" is in line with the "first straight". Never had difficulty with this method.

A pipe bender is not the "be all and end all", bending springs can get you out of trouble as well, a "rolling offset pass-over" is one that cannot be easily done with a machine, if at all

Once I had to cross the pipe work, only 3/4" copper, the other plumber had connected the hot to the w/c and bath & basin were also connected hot to cold, in the master bed room en suite bath room, it was tight for space to do this because the finished floor was down in the bath room, could not chop the joists lower, to use fittings for a passover, so I pulled two sets of off-sets to mate up to the distance between the pipes, and then pulled a slight passover in both of the offsets, so that one would dip a bit and the other would rise a bit where the pipes crossed each other

Hi anz,
i have been shown several ways of bending pipe but your notes & drawings look to be the easiest way I have seen, can't wait to try it tomorrow and see if it is easier.

Thanks.

Check this one....

works with Hilmor bender (Irwin now I think)

first bend:
mark middle of pipe length, put that mark on so its in line with the first m (where it says 15mm) on former.

Then pull bend so the first edge of the back guide just touches the 45 degree mark on the former.

second bend:
place right hand edge of retaining hook into the centre (accurately) of the bend you've just pulled, then bend pipe till the edge of the pipe hits the 30 degree mark.

Bend three.
flip pipe over & repeat, place hook in the centre of first bend and now pull 3rd bend so it inline with bend two. Every now and then either bend might need a tweak or two but it's quite accurate and no measurements needed.

It's as simple as that. Was shown this on an open day by the traininers at the uk one training centre, mastered it after a couple of goes and it passes nicely over 15 & 22mm tube. go & try, cheaper than buying them!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock