Discuss Plastering really isn't that hard.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
First day of the plastering course today. The apprentice and myself just did 2 perfect walls having never picked up a hawk and trowel in our life before. For a total cost of under £500 to get fully tooled up I've been doing the wrong trade for 5 years I think!!

The best ones round here are charging as much as plumbers do.

yep I agree it isn't that hard, but do a ceiling and a few walls and you will know about it LOL.

Its a @iece of @iss compared to this job though

First day of the plastering course today. The apprentice and myself just did 2 perfect walls having never picked up a hawk and trowel in our life before. For a total cost of under £500 to get fully tooled up I've been doing the wrong trade for 5 years I think!!

The best ones round here are charging as much as plumbers do.

How much did it cost you I'm thinking about doing a plastering course in the near future. I can patch up holes but dont have the confidence to do a full wall

After a few walls you will have arms like Fatima Whitbread plastering isntveasy pal its an art on its own doing a wall maybe str8 forward but when you have a wall staircase n a ceiling to do it gets tricky :)

plastering's a doddle compared to plumbing. Although not much fun in the summer and doing ceilings are a killer unless you do em regularly. but its a handy skill to have.

And you do t get "emergency" calls telling you of some catastrophic failure.

I can skim to a decent standard, self taught when I bought my first house. You could see it get better the further upstairs you went! (Or get worse if heading in the opposite direction!)

Most of the skill is knowing when to leave it and when to trowel off.

I'm 6'2" and find ceilings easier than walls as I have a better eye across the surface, walls I find a bright light at 90 degrees to the wall really helps pick out the imperfections.

The problem is when it goes wrong its game over and you've got a big clean operation at the end of every job.

couldnt do it as a day job , I get bored to easily. I think that's why mostly spam heads do plastering, they are probably to busy remembering how to breathe to get bored.

Last edited:
When dot & dabbing a wall, get all the boards cut to size first, then mix plenty enough adhesive and blob up the whole wall and offer the sheets up and then with your feather edge/wacking stick tap them all in TOGETHER for a good flat surface.

Do them individually and you end up all over the shop and have to fill in all the low areas.

To be honest if I can fill in chases after rewiring and skim the odd bathroom ceiling/patch a bathroom wall I will be very happy. The rest will come with time.

Course was £300 for the week at a place called Trade Ability.

Will let you know how the ceilings go tomorrow lol.

To be honest if I can fill in chases after rewiring and skim the odd bathroom ceiling/patch a bathroom wall I will be very happy. The rest will come with time.

Course was £300 for the week at a place called Trade Ability.

Will let you know how the ceilings go tomorrow lol.

your shoulders will ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastering really isn't that hard.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock