Discuss Plastic Compression Elbows ("speedfit") in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aljohnstone

I recently had a complete replacement central heating system installed (Worcester 28Ri). The work is of a good standard with 15mm copper pipework with soldered end feed couplings throughout. I have however discovered that, for some unknown reason, in the attic they have used a pair of plastic compression elbows on the modified mains cold water feed to the boiler for pressurising the system (the feed for the hot water is still gravity from the attic cistern). Call me old fashioned, but compression fittings, especially plastic ones, used on mains pressure in an attic make me nervous, given the potential for catastrophe should they fail sometime down the line. Would I be justified in getting the installer back to replace these plastic fittings with good old soldered joints?

Can't see them being plastic compression you mistake there plastic push fit fittings if you don't like them you can ask for them to be changed but they will probably charge you to do it I'd be thinking

they like me probably dont like soldering in dusty flammable attics, you fuss to much after all are they leaking?

May be due to fear of using gas torch in the loft. If speedfit the higher the pressure the tighter they seal. If you are still concerned get them changed but as Gray0689 says there may be a charge.

They don't make a 28 Ri I assume you mean 24 Ri, don't worry about the plastic, take a good look inside the boiler lol, when you have you GSR carry out its first service :sleep1:

perhaps your loft is a fire hazard or very cold with the potential of copper pipe freezing. plastic has some give.

perhaps your loft is a fire hazard or very cold with the potential of copper pipe freezing. plastic has some give.

That's what pipe lagging is used for though, could they not have used compression fittings. In my opinion if they go back and change them they may retain a customer, far easier to retain a customer than find a new one!!!

why should they go back and change them the customer hasn't got a clue what they are he should have more faith in the installer, this is one customer they probably won't want to retain and they might not have time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic Compression Elbows ("speedfit") in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back