Search the forum,

Discuss Please help, loud clanking noise from heat exchanger/boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Sounds like a circulation issue/ is there water in the system pic of the boiler ?

Eg overheat

To me, the noise sounds like an issue I've come across on a late 1980s boiler. Boiler was kettling slightly and the resultant gasses would block the flow pipe when the system came on. This was due to poor pipework run design that did not self-vent. The boiler would then bang when it tried to fire, the pump could not shift the air/steam lock, and the boiler would then overheat and would turn its pilot light out as a safety response. Ultimately the problem was handled by fitting an air separator to treat the symptom.

The owner had previously just turned the heating off for a bit when it did it, but said it didn't do it very often.

To me, the noise sounds like an issue I've come across on a late 1980s boiler. Boiler was kettling slightly and the resultant gasses would block the flow pipe when the system came on. This was due to poor pipework run design that did not self-vent. The boiler would then bang when it tried to fire, the pump could not shift the air/steam lock, and the boiler would then overheat and would turn its pilot light out as a safety response. Ultimately the problem was handled by fitting an air separator to treat the symptom.

The owner had previously just turned the heating off for a bit when it did it, but said it didn't do it very often.
Turns out the problem was in the pump! British Gas guy replaced it and now it’s working fine. Thank you all for your responses though

Reply to Please help, loud clanking noise from heat exchanger/boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock