Search the forum,

Discuss Plinth Heater Pipework Run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray-Bentos

Hello
I am planning on fitting a Smiths SS5 hydronic plinth heater in my kitchen.

The central heating system currently only has a radiator in the living room and the rest are upstairs. The tails to the radiator downstairs are in 10mm microbore. The radiator is at the opposite end of the living room from the kitchen. Running pipework from this radiator/pipework would be difficult due to both the distance and layout of the room.

The boiler is in the kitchen and is quite close to the area where the plinth heater is to be fitted. The flow and return on the boiler are both 22mm and leave the boiler and go up into the ceiling above it. It would be much easier to tee into these pipes and run the pipework for the plinth heater the short distance down the wall and under the units. My only concern is that chopping into the system so early (before the pump) on these 22mm pipes and running the pipework across the top of the door and down to the plinth heater (which I have read is very restrictive) and then back up (the whole height of floor to ceiling) for the return may pose problems for even flow throughout. Would it be able to push the return flow back up?

Does anyone have any experience of this and whether or not I should tee into these 22mm pipes? If I do, what is the best size of pipework to use for the plinth heater both to keep flow equal and provide the plinth heater with enough heat?

Cheers for any help
Ray

You need to tee into the heating circuit not the primary flow. You'll have to find it upstairs and run down to the heater.

Also it sounds like you would be teeing in before the pump on the flow. Which will have a negative pressure and probably cause reverse circulation and poor flow through the boiler.

If its a combi boiler it is ok to tee into the 22 feeds, if your pump is in a airing cupboard it is a conventional boiler and the 22mm feeds are the primary flow & return you should not tee into those.

you need to find the heating pipework and connect on them, maybe a job for someone with experience

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Get someone in that knows what they're doing.

I thought thats what these forums were for, so I could get some advice from people who have experience in fitting these? I have fitted many radiators, etc... so am quite confident but would just like to know any specific details so I know Im doing it right? I am still young so obviously dont have the 20+ yrs experience, how else are you meant to learn without asking questions?

I see an attachment symbol on this thread on the main forum board but don't see anything here, was there an image posted in here?

Thanks to everyone for the advice

I thought thats what these forums were for, so I could get some advice from people who have experience in fitting these? I have fitted many radiators, etc... so am quite confident but would just like to know any specific details so I know Im doing it right? I am still young so obviously dont have the 20+ yrs experience, how else are you meant to learn without asking questions?

They are mate but what I mean is because of the type of system you have got you have to be careful where you tee into, if your pump is in your airing cupboard that tells me you have a conventional system which means the boiler flow and returns are different to your heating flow and returns and it needs teeing in correctly or you will cause problems on your system.

Regards

you have had advice but probably not what you wanted to hear tee into flow must be after the pump /motorised valves if it to much trouble sell the hydro heater and buy an electric one

you have had advice but probably not what you wanted to hear tee into flow must be after the pump /motorised valves if it to much trouble sell the hydro heater and buy an electric one

I don't mind if that's what I have to do, would have been easier if could have tee-ed off from the boiler but if it can't be done then that's all I needed to know. I will tee off upstairs and bring it down.
The hydro heater is actually to replace an electric one that costs a fortune to run.

I don't mind if that's what I have to do, would have been easier if could have tee-ed off from the boiler but if it can't be done then that's all I needed to know. I will tee off upstairs and bring it down.
The hydro heater is actually to replace an electric one that costs a fortune to run.

It can be done but its the wrong thing to do. If you do it you'll cause more problems that you won't be able to solve.

Right first time is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plinth Heater Pipework Run in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test, occasionally you get a small leak from the air test typically old cap ends/scratched pipe which shows up easily on the test without having to inspect anything...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock