Discuss Plumbing And Your Body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
after 11 years on the tools i went into mangement. ive had terrible trouble with knees and back but i also played profressional rugby when i was younger and rode motorbikes in cold weather!! i then found out 12 months ago i had a thyroid problem and since thats been cured my bad back is alot better, didnt even know they were related!!!!!!!!!!!111

in 14 years i have hit my self in the jaw with a clutch less sds whilst coring that put my back teeth trough my tongue:eek:,hit my self in the eye with a knipex(removing a cone off 15mm pipe) detaching the retina,had a few electric shocks and a few bad backs and knees

Had a severe case of housemaids[and me being a plumber] knee about twenty years ago swelled up like a balloon
and the only way I can describe the pain is like I had fallen on a broken bottle and the glass was still in there. Anti biotics and anti inflamitaries and some new knee pads order of the day.Amazing how two weeks lack of wages helps you realise prevention is better than cure.:)regards turnpin

Had a severe case of housemaids[and me being a plumber] knee about twenty years ago swelled up like a balloon
and the only way I can describe the pain is like I had fallen on a broken bottle and the glass was still in there. Anti biotics and anti inflamitaries and some new knee pads order of the day.Amazing how two weeks lack of wages helps you realise prevention is better than cure.:)regards turnpin
that happened to dad (also a plumber) knees filled with blood

worked on a site where a big guy had the job to paint a steel fire escape over the weekend
knelt on the checkerplate treads and platforms as he carried out the work no knee pads got housemaids knee fluid became infected good job his wife's a nurse she got him to hospital
straight onto intra venous anti biotics preventing full blown septacaemia[blood poisoning]
very ill for a long time but recovered thankfully so wear your knee pads all:eek:regards turnpin

I got septicemia a few years back due to a brass splinter (from a compression nut) lodging between my fingers. Hand swelled up like a balloon. Had a week in hospital with that one.

Fortunately 2 weeks before i had bumped into the guy from the Combined Insurance Co of America (they used to do the rounds on the sites) and bought some off your work insurance for something like £25. Paid out £1400.
Then 3 months after that i caught chickenpox (at 43) and got another £500 for that.
Funny, i never saw that guy again :D

You are joking!

Got all kinds.

Allergic Rhinitis may be off flux,
Meneires disease (balance problem) possibly work related,
Arthritis,
RSI hands knackered and worn out by too much strain,
Asbestoses,
Sore and to quote the doctor all chewed up foot ligaments (skip landed on it),

And I think I am fortunate.

Incidentally you can't get anything for asbestoses if the insurance companies will not admit liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
This trade should really carry a health warning but hopefully the younger ones won't be as stupid as we were but you will still give your body a lot of abuse just to make money.

When i was a young lad i used to laugh at all the old boys with their aches and pains and ailments and they would tell me not to do things in certain ways as i would suffer when i was older. They were speaking from experience but i was too stupid to listen. When you are young you think you are indestructible. Unfortunately most never lasted more than 5 years after they retired.
I have did some crazy things in the past because i "needed" the money. Anything to save a bit time and make more money. None of it was worth it and it all catches up.
Now i have all the same problems and ache in places i never knew i had and as Bernie said there is probably more in store in a few years.

Any young ones who take up this trade should respect their bodies and don't do things because you think you need to. The Health and Safety stuff, although it may seem a nuisance at times, is there for a reason. To protect you. And if you are self employed still follow their guidelines. Believe me you WILL feel it when you get older. There is more to life than making money (you won't realise that until you are older too) :(

Did a good one in a loft, drilling a hole in a cistern.... one handed. Cistern flipped, and my whrist almost followed. Loads of cuts and burns, bad back, bad knees. all good fun.
If i end up stuck in one position i tend to stop and move around a bit after 20mins, just to keep the circulation going.

What type/make of gloves do you usually wear? Do you find you can still do most things with them on or do they get in the way?

I've yet to see a plumber wear gloves for anything other than carrying chunks of cast iron to the skip. They all seem to get in the way. And to be honest after a few years experience finger pain doesn't even register, it's the back and knees and stuff that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing And Your Body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
M
Replies
Views
oldplumber
O
S