Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing And Your Body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Apart from cuts and bruises to hands (particularly fond of where I tried to put a hacksaw through my knuckle) and the odd pain in the back after tough jobs in tricky positions, I've not suffered too bad from plumbing so far but I've only been at it just shy of 2 years.

One of the guys I worked for has suffered quite badly. Years of lifting boilers onto their brackets on his own (and he's about 5ft 7) has left him wearing back-supports, elbow supports, knee-supports and basically in a sorry state. Another guy I work for who is a bit older seems to have got off scot-free.

So what's the deal? How have you all fared? Plumbers are famous for anhiliating their knees but is it really that bad? Am I basically going to stand a good chance of being crippled in 20 years time? Or are the odds actually that I'll be alright?

got a bad knee thats aggravated by kneeling. blew the cartilage by carrying 2 bags of cement on my shoulder and stepping over a gate and twisting the knee at the same time, the noise it made was bad enough but the pain really concentrated ones mind. Dont bother lifting cement bags now but keep falling over when the leg goes one way and im trying to go the other, seems like another knee power flush this winter, to get the crud out.

I always always wear knee pads wen working, this shud keep my knees in a decent nick come retirement age(hopefully!). As far as lifting boilers go, I always get one of the boys round to help and I'll do the same for them if they need me, no point working ur whole life to be crippled in retirement.

Easier said than done for one man bands I suppose but u have to look after ur own body, no one else will

As a plumber you will spend half your day on your knees (which it may surprise you to know, are not made for kneeling on:eek:) so trousers/overalls with knee pads should be your number one priority. Your knees will wear out but it takes a while.

Elbows, depending on the work you do, will take a bashing but it is bearable.

Hands, apart from the usual cuts and lumps of skin pulled off (tetnus, if i could bottle it i would sell it), broken bones. Think i must have broken every bone on the back of my left hand with a 4lb mash until i learned to aim :). Hands always wet especially in winter. White knuckle, got so bad i had to give up windsurfing, i kept falling off because i couldn't hang on ;) Arthritis is the one here.

Back, it is gonna take a lot of abuse. Boilers are a good bit lighter than they once were (W2000's and spacesavers, think Mexico on the wall) and cast iron baths (right son get that up the stairs, yourself) are a rarity now but you have to watch what you do. The simpleist thing you may do like lifting something while you are twisting may put that out. Sciatica is another sure bet.

Lungs, These are often overlooked as they don't generally get sore. They will however suffer. Fumes, soot, dust, glasswool. You are breathing it in EVERY day. This one takes a while to kick in too.

When i was young i used to have a laugh with all the old guys about their aches and pains and they would say "it will come to you too, you will suffer when you are older" and it has with a vengence. Everything hurts but your threshold to pain increases to a point where if you notice something is sore (sorer than normal) it must be bad.

I used to do some crazy things abusing the body just to make more money. As an industry where, especially if you are SE, you are self regulated and will take risks and do things where in the normal workplace it would NEVER be allowed. Dust mask? full box in the van, goggles, in the van, roof ladder, it's not that steep, 25kg, with one hand, gloves, for fannies.

Overall, if you do this for long enough, it will take it's toll from your body in one way or another. Some things are unavoidable but be sensible.

oldplumber

by carrying 2 bags of cement on my shoulder

1st year apprentice, 10 half stone, for a laugh they used to make me carry 2 x 1cwt bags of cement up a ladder (they would helpfully lift them on and shout encouragement) and cast baths up the stairs on my own. When i was 18 i was 15 stone and 6ft 3", built like a brick sh..house. Nobody ever made me do anything again :D

I wear gloves most of the time when doing pipe work now. I decided that after getting an infected finger from a splinter and was put on antibiotics. My dads 65 this year, been in the trade 40 years and he's ok, fine really, hardly suffered. He cut his hand twice badly though last week which needed stitches, so he might even start wearing gloves too!

I very rarely work on my knees, I sit on my backside or crouch instead.
Not wearing gloves, dustmasks, knee pads, lifting heavy boilers on your own, isnt big nor clever. Though I do find the newer Worcestor's an easy one man lift!

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I do find the newer Worcestor's an easy one man lift!

Unless its a cdi (or maybe i am feeling my age:rolleyes:)

I got scepticemia about 10 years ago from a brass splinter that went between my fingers. Had a week in the hospital pumped with the anti's, with the you should have been dead talk, and a £2k cheque from the combined insurance co of america (there is a tip. If you ever bump into one of these reps on a site, take it on. 40quid a year and guaranteed return:D)

Unless its a cdi (or maybe i am feeling my age:rolleyes:)

I got scepticemia about 10 years ago from a brass splinter that went between my fingers. Had a week in the hospital pumped with the anti's, with the you should have been dead talk, and a £2k cheque from the combined insurance co of america (there is a tip. If you ever bump into one of these reps on a site, take it on. 40quid a year and guaranteed return:D)
my brothers a financial advisor! He's got me some personal cover lined up for me for around 15 pound a month which covers me for around 100 critical illness' for 50 grand lump sum on diagnosis, basically anything that stops me from doing my job for 6 months or more I think, to get me back on my feet or to retrain perhaps. Also 2 grand for a broken bone, I'll post more details when it's done.
By the way, we mainly fit SI's or I juniors, the CDI's have a bigger heat exchanger so probably are heavier.

the CDI's have a bigger heat exchanger so probably are heavier.

Yer not kidding :D

Btw "most" critical illness and whole of life policies have more get outs than a horse could shyte and are not worth the paper they are printed on (learned that the hard way).

Hi. Your post give me the oppertunity to express an issue (or not). Since the use of self cleaning flux. I have oftern wondered wherther the fumes given of and breathed, have the same effect as that on copper pipe. If so is the cleaning it provided a benefit or problem for our bodies?

Having worked 7 years down the mine ,6 years plumbing and heating (1st time around) 8 years as a telecom installer and another 10 years as a plumbing and heating fitter...( and not forgetting all the women i have loved :cool:)

I am knackered..:D

Glad your doing your bit Spud. The hungry must be feed. Dear little things.

Overall, if you do this for long enough, it will take it's toll from your body in one way or another. Some things are unavoidable but be sensible.

oldplumber

by carrying 2 bags of cement on my shoulder

1st year apprentice, 10 half stone, for a laugh they used to make me carry 2 x 1cwt bags of cement up a ladder (they would helpfully lift them on and shout encouragement) and cast baths up the stairs on my own. When i was 18 i was 15 stone and 6ft 3", built like a brick sh..house. Nobody ever made me do anything again :D

working on a farm as a 17 year old 3 artics turned up in succession each with 20 pallets of fertilizer. each bag was 2 cwt and we offloaded the lot, 3 of us by hand as the forklift had a puncture, lifes a pig at times, but we didnt care as that was the norm then, you just got on with it, nowadays you see people refusing to lift 1/8th of what we moved. As mentioned you build muscle and weight and nowadays I always seem to get paid when asked, although muscle more like flab now, but I can still squash any custards who annoy me.:)

I have to take somone into the toilet with me as the doctor said I shouldnt lift anything heavy on my own.

over the years I have had the usual bad backs, wobbly knees, hitting meself in the face with the drill when the 4" core snags whilst up a ladder and hitting me hand with a lump hammer when chisseling, usually thre or four times in succestion, but what annoys me the most is when I miss me *** with me blow torch and set me beard on fire.

after 11 years on the tools i went into mangement. ive had terrible trouble with knees and back but i also played profressional rugby when i was younger and rode motorbikes in cold weather!! i then found out 12 months ago i had a thyroid problem and since thats been cured my bad back is alot better, didnt even know they were related!!!!!!!!!!!111

in 14 years i have hit my self in the jaw with a clutch less sds whilst coring that put my back teeth trough my tongue:eek:,hit my self in the eye with a knipex(removing a cone off 15mm pipe) detaching the retina,had a few electric shocks and a few bad backs and knees

Had a severe case of housemaids[and me being a plumber] knee about twenty years ago swelled up like a balloon
and the only way I can describe the pain is like I had fallen on a broken bottle and the glass was still in there. Anti biotics and anti inflamitaries and some new knee pads order of the day.Amazing how two weeks lack of wages helps you realise prevention is better than cure.:)regards turnpin

Had a severe case of housemaids[and me being a plumber] knee about twenty years ago swelled up like a balloon
and the only way I can describe the pain is like I had fallen on a broken bottle and the glass was still in there. Anti biotics and anti inflamitaries and some new knee pads order of the day.Amazing how two weeks lack of wages helps you realise prevention is better than cure.:)regards turnpin
that happened to dad (also a plumber) knees filled with blood

worked on a site where a big guy had the job to paint a steel fire escape over the weekend
knelt on the checkerplate treads and platforms as he carried out the work no knee pads got housemaids knee fluid became infected good job his wife's a nurse she got him to hospital
straight onto intra venous anti biotics preventing full blown septacaemia[blood poisoning]
very ill for a long time but recovered thankfully so wear your knee pads all:eek:regards turnpin

I got septicemia a few years back due to a brass splinter (from a compression nut) lodging between my fingers. Hand swelled up like a balloon. Had a week in hospital with that one.

Fortunately 2 weeks before i had bumped into the guy from the Combined Insurance Co of America (they used to do the rounds on the sites) and bought some off your work insurance for something like £25. Paid out £1400.
Then 3 months after that i caught chickenpox (at 43) and got another £500 for that.
Funny, i never saw that guy again :D

You are joking!

Got all kinds.

Allergic Rhinitis may be off flux,
Meneires disease (balance problem) possibly work related,
Arthritis,
RSI hands knackered and worn out by too much strain,
Asbestoses,
Sore and to quote the doctor all chewed up foot ligaments (skip landed on it),

And I think I am fortunate.

Incidentally you can't get anything for asbestoses if the insurance companies will not admit liability.

This trade should really carry a health warning but hopefully the younger ones won't be as stupid as we were but you will still give your body a lot of abuse just to make money.

When i was a young lad i used to laugh at all the old boys with their aches and pains and ailments and they would tell me not to do things in certain ways as i would suffer when i was older. They were speaking from experience but i was too stupid to listen. When you are young you think you are indestructible. Unfortunately most never lasted more than 5 years after they retired.
I have did some crazy things in the past because i "needed" the money. Anything to save a bit time and make more money. None of it was worth it and it all catches up.
Now i have all the same problems and ache in places i never knew i had and as Bernie said there is probably more in store in a few years.

Any young ones who take up this trade should respect their bodies and don't do things because you think you need to. The Health and Safety stuff, although it may seem a nuisance at times, is there for a reason. To protect you. And if you are self employed still follow their guidelines. Believe me you WILL feel it when you get older. There is more to life than making money (you won't realise that until you are older too) :(

Did a good one in a loft, drilling a hole in a cistern.... one handed. Cistern flipped, and my whrist almost followed. Loads of cuts and burns, bad back, bad knees. all good fun.
If i end up stuck in one position i tend to stop and move around a bit after 20mins, just to keep the circulation going.

What type/make of gloves do you usually wear? Do you find you can still do most things with them on or do they get in the way?

I've yet to see a plumber wear gloves for anything other than carrying chunks of cast iron to the skip. They all seem to get in the way. And to be honest after a few years experience finger pain doesn't even register, it's the back and knees and stuff that does.

My problem is I'm a stress-head. And the second I'm fully focused on a challege nothing else registers. No pain, no hunger, no thirst. And then, when I finish the job, I suddenly realise I've pulled this, strained that and am about to collapse from dehydration. Either I learn to change this behaviour or I'm not going to last long.

I've yet to see a plumber wear gloves for anything other than carrying chunks of cast iron to the skip. They all seem to get in the way. And to be honest after a few years experience finger pain doesn't even register, it's the back and knees and stuff that does.

I use hyflex gloves. Takes a bit of getting used to, then you cant work with out them. I dont even bother taking them off to wire an immersion heater

i was like that hands didnt register pain but as im getting older ive started to feel things more its as if ive lost some of the flesh and its pressing on bone theres nothing good about getting older
they make me laugh when the goverment say we will have to work longer im fecked now at 56 by 70 i wont be able to lift a pair of grips
still it wont be a problem most plumbers ive known were dead before 70

Last edited:
In 17 years i have had 1 knee operation (6weeks off work), 1 hernia operation (1week off and counting), A KO (1 day off) and a groin strain (1 week off work).

when you are younger you dont really care, but the earlier you start to look after yourself the longer you will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing And Your Body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock