Discuss Plumbing done in home rented out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharon_goddard

Hi,

My sister and I own a house which we rent out, the letting agents called in a plumber to get the kitchen sink unblocked. He apparently used industrial strength drain unblocker. At the time there was a small leak which was fixed a short while later by another plumber. But there is damage to the kitchen unit. The letting agent says its water damage but we think the damage is due to the chemical used. So my question is in two parts. 1) Should industrial strength drain unblocker be used in a kitchen sink and 2) is the damage caused by the chemicals or only water damage as the letting agent has suggested. Photo attached of the damage.

Thanks for any advise on this as both my sister and I have no experience in plumbing an we are not sure if we are being mugged off.

Attachments

• damage to kitchen unit.jpg
    damage to kitchen unit.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 169
If the leak hadn't been there in the first place, the industrial strength drain cleaner would not have been able to leak out onto the cupboard.

And to answer your other question, "industrial strength" is mainly a marketing gimmick. There are some seriously powerful chemical unblockers available to the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the plumbers fault he had to do what he had to do he fixed your problem you have old pipe work that leaked and the stain from the "industrial cleaner" isnt exactly the end of the world as most under sink cabinets are covered in stains from storing cleaning products it might of even been there before he got there

Thanks for the advice I will advise my sister as she deals with the property.

Everyone blames the plumber! As he said there must be other things to worry about.

If this is still in your mind may I suggest a hobby like a college night course in plumbing? Then you can maintain everything yourself.

If you put another piece of white MDF the exact size over that piece with the white covered edge facing out you'd never know that 'marked' piece was there. Just get slots cut out for the pipes. I'm sure there's places nearby where you can buy pieces cut to size. Drop the bit in and you can forget about it then.

Throw some emulsion over the base or simply fill the units with bin linners washing up liquid and the usuals then hay presto ,,,, dissapeared

Me thinks the bottle of bleech that used to sit in cupboard may have leeked,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing done in home rented out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock