Discuss Poor hot water pressure on gravity fed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

Hi all. Got a job on and hw is gravity fed. Renewed bathroom but we had to take the hot into the basement and bring it back up into bathroom (couldn't avoid it really) and cylinder is in the attic but since doing so the pressure has worsened so much so that new mixer shower won't work. Would fitting a pump on the hw solve the shower issue and rest of the bathroom pressure? Thanks

No, unlikely. You will end up with other problems. What you describe is a bodge up and unlikely to ever work successfully.

You need to take a hot tapping directly off the cylinder and a cold feed from the cistern solely to the shower.

Do you mean the cold feed comes off the rising main? If so it will never work properly anyway.

There is either a right way or a wrong way to do things, and to try a bodge up afterwards seldom works. Your best bet if you cannot easily get a hot feed to the shower is to replace it with an electric one fed off the rising main.

I know its basic but did you check the hot water flow/pressure first ?

WHPES is right - I would put a new flange (surrey/essex) straight on to cylinder
this will give flow and balance the hot/cold. Centralheatking

Yeah forgot to mention hw pressure was poor throughout house before we went in. Her cylinder only has one hot feed coming off it feeding kitchen, 2 en suites and a bathroom.

Custard doesnt want want is touching the cylinder she's happy as it is so
only option would be a pump really. Pump on the hot at cylinder and PRV on the cold at shower? Is that an option? Not long time served and my apprenticeship was mostly working in combi houses

Whilst your client may not want you to touch the cylider the advice given to run new hot and cold supplies to the shower is the proper way to do it. In that the supply pressure was poor beore you started work would suggest an inherent fault in the system to start with and introducing a pump and PRV is really not the answer. In some ways you are between a rock and a hard place and the only way to keep yourself right is to do the job by the book. You may need to refer to the manufacturer's installation instructions for justification for your decision as I am sure they will require connection in this manner.

Walk away. Not worth the hassle. Can't be done without touching the cylinder or when someone opens a hot tap the shower will be all over the place. Same with cold. Supplies must be independent. Bodge up, especially with what you suggest on the cold. Chances are it won't work properly and you won't get paid or you will be badmouthed to others about it.

Imagine taking your car to the garage and saying "I can't seem to get enough acceleration out of it but I dont want you touching the engine".

You need a cold feed directly from the cistern and a hot feed directly from the cylinder. End of! Anything else is a bodge up!

Did you also check the cistern was Water Regulations compliant before the shower was put in (close fitting lid, seals round vent pipe, dip pipe, breather, insect screen?)

Last edited:
If not and anyone gets Legionnaire's disease, you're potentially liable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor hot water pressure on gravity fed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a combi boiler for hot water and heating but have 2 showers in the house. Obviously low water pressure if both showers are used at...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, My gravity fed hot water slows to nothing over 30 seconds. when tap turned off for 5 mins, tap will run again for 30 seconds etc. I have...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock