Search the forum,

Discuss Poor quality pipe work leading to gully in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I posted a thread about a broken rainwater gully ( which I thought was called a hopper). I enclose a link to photos of the pipework draining into this. Is it me, or is this substandard work? If you have two downpipes for rainwater, wouldn't you drain one into the other in order to minimise the number of pipes at the outlet? I'm not an expert, but it looks very amateurish to me.

Stivulya / Стивуля

Depends on the volume of water going down the pipes. Yours appear to be draining two valley gutters, so could have quite high volumes of water each from both sides of a large pitched roof. If the pipes couldn't contain the flow, they'd back up and the gutters would overflow. It would have been neater looking to take the right hand pipe into its own gulley connected to the drainage system, but there may well be good reasons why this was not done.

If you want to make it look better, consider changing the white pipes for black ones (or painting the pipes) as black looks less conspicuous. May require freeholder's consent.

Thanks steadyon. It's not mine - it's the neighbour's. 6 students live in the house, formerly a 3-bedroom, like mine. The owner, apparently lives 30 miles away, and I've never met him. I suspect a new gully wasn't installed purely on financial grounds. It's not the look of it that interests me, it's the fact that 3 separate pipes have to drain into the gully, making it a bit crowded.

Thanks for sharing the entire photo album with us Steve :oops:

Just waiting now for somebody to pass comment on the flue near the window in IMG_0091 :eek:

Looks too close to call but think its just in (within regs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor quality pipe work leading to gully in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys not sure anyone has encountered this before but I have a job where the inside wall has been getting a little damp, there was a step up to the door that I think wasn't helping due to dpc but that was removed to take a closer look and it revealed 2 waste water pipes going into the patio...
Replies
Views
I will need: install new 100mm pvc pipe work, 90-degree bend for new W/C install new 100mm pvc pipe work, 90-degree bend with new gully pot at rear of new extension for sink waste clean water pipe carry out 2 x Lead connections with a new T section No excavation needed, all is digged out.
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
Been researching as much as I can and think have a good gist about recommended waste pipe sizes, types of bends etc so now just looking to fit the most efficient system (but also looking to minimise drilling through stone work). Essentially the old setup had the shower and bath running...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left. The pipe work from the shower mixer valve is exposed silver colour pipework. the pipe work will run up from the valve then take a hard left at the ceiling...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock