Discuss Pressure problems.. Gravity fed system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jreucassel

Hi,

I am very inexperienced at plumbing but I am having a real problem with low pressure in my upstairs bathroom.
The problem only affects the cold water taps for some reason, the hot water is fine.

The problem first appeared about a year ago when we had the bathroom redone, the cold water pressure dropped significantly but was still ok to live with (just annoying). I replaced the thermostatic shower this weekend and the pressure has completely gone now, it is literally just a trickle. The hot water is still fine.

My first thought was air in the system or something but I have no idea how to diagnose the problem let alone fix it.

it is a gravity system with the boiler/cold water tank in the loft, the hot water cylinder is on the same floor as the bathroom.

can anyone help.

What type boiler do you have? make, model. Can you take a picture and post it up?

Worcester Bosch DT10. I think it is air in the system but how do you get it out. I forgot to mention that I completely drained the system when I fitted he shower if that is a possible cause.

Is cold from attic? To common to have gravity feed to bath. / shower ? ISo off or blocked? Flush it with mains pressure?

I have read about flushing with mains but looks impractical with modern waterfall taps and downstairs being so far away, is there any other way?

In loft identify which port on bottom of tank is the one u need to flush. Disconnect ball cock. Connect to to ISo valve with a length of 15mm speed fit attached. Ram speed fit into the hole u need to flush and open ISo. Some one else needs to open and close taps. ( chamfer end of speed fit to make a better seal and make sure u have tank 1/2 empty before u start.) speed fit and mains pressure are not suitable for flushing all holes...... Colonic is usually gravity.

Tried this but couldn't flush anything out, there is a LOT of limescale in the tanks so I think maybe some some gone down and blocked the pipe somewhere.

you could be right in your assumption. possibly blocked at an elbow, trace the pipework until you come to an elbow if it is a fairly short way along you may be able to try and clear the obstruction by using a stiff wire to poke down the pipe.

Lumps of scale in a modern mixer tap = eeek!! Is it possible to remove the taps and run through the suply pipe only? That'll give you an idea as to whether the issue is within the tap assembly or upstream :)

The poor flow is in both the the sink and the bath so I assume it is higher up the system somewhere. I will look into getting some bendy wiring to try and push it through. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure problems.. Gravity fed system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a combi boiler for hot water and heating but have 2 showers in the house. Obviously low water pressure if both showers are used at...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, thanks for adding me. My Veissmann v50 combi gas boiler has recently started to supply only lukewarm water to the bathroom above it. This...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock