Discuss Pressure relief pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nat

Hi all,

Bit of advice please...

Went to look at a combi changeover job today and the boiler is hung on an internal wall inside a cupboard off the hallway, the patio door is on the other side of the hallway. The PRV pipework runs into the washing machine standpipe for the w/m next to the boiler. This isn't allowed, is it?!

My question is where to run the PRV? There is a cloakroom toilet next to the cupboard - is it allowable to go into the 4" for the toilet. I know this sounds odd but this is allowable for an unvented cylinder and I have done this many times so can you do this with the PRV from a combi?

Cheers,

Nat

Probably need a hepvo waste and a tundish. Never had the problem as I always get it outside, lucky I suppose.

you will need a tundish and a trap, you can run yor condensate ito w/machine trap.
steve

Hi nat,

this is a question i asked a couple days ago as i was fitting a 28i junior in a cupboard where i had no external wall close to run my prv. i got a couple of mixed replies, some stated its perfectly fine as long as there is an airbreak between pipe and discharge point, some sayed that the prv determend where the boiler is fitted as it must run directly outside. i ended up discharging it into the wash machine stand pipe in the end but as soon as i get word back from building control whether this is acceptable or not will determine if i have to change it. i beleive there is a pump on the market now that acts exactly like a condi pump maybe thats an option???

Hi nat,

this is a question i asked a couple days ago as i was fitting a 28i junior in a cupboard where i had no external wall close to run my prv. i got a couple of mixed replies, some stated its perfectly fine as long as there is an airbreak between pipe and discharge point, some sayed that the prv determend where the boiler is fitted as it must run directly outside. i ended up discharging it into the wash machine stand pipe in the end but as soon as i get word back from building control whether this is acceptable or not will determine if i have to change it. i beleive there is a pump on the market now that acts exactly like a condi pump maybe thats an option???

Interesting. Thanks for your reply. So you ran it into washing machine standpipe as I found in this installation. Would be nice if this was allowed but I doubt it is. I know from doing unvented cylinders that you can run the PRV into tundish, hepvo and high temp plastic with push fit fittings into 4 inch and I don't see why you couldn't do this with a combi.

If anyone else has a definite answer for me I'd appreciate it. Going to phone Gas Safe tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks for all your replies

Its always been my opinion that the discharge point should be visible/outside. Could u not cap the boiler prv pipe and rig up one on the system where it's accessible for repair and close to an outside wall so the termination is visible. The annoying thing about a safety pipe term not being visible (for a repair guy anyway) is that u obviously can't see If the valve is passing or not. If u did decide to fit a system prv I'd leave some sort of label on the chb indicating where the working prv is fitted, just incase a future engineer opens a can of worms when in reality everything is safe and correct

all PRV`s are set to blow at 3 bar pressure and may discharge hot as well, so a open ended wash/mc up stand [which normally have a built it trap ] would not be able to cope with discharge at this pressure/heat which could lead to flood of hot water at 3 bar out of up stand .not good idea .
d99

all PRV`s are set to blow at 3 bar pressure and may discharge hot as well, so a open ended wash/mc up stand [which normally have a built it trap ] would not be able to cope with discharge at this pressure/heat which could lead to flood of hot water at 3 bar out of up stand .not good idea .
d99

I've been doing this a long time and I've never seen a ch prv 'blow' as ppl say. Dribble and drip maybe but never blown. I do agree with u though but for slightly different reasons matey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure relief pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock