Currently reading:
Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler?

Discuss Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

My girlfriend just got a text from a workmate of hers saying would I be able to change a pressure valve on their heating system. I assume she means PRV. I also know they might not know what they are talking about and it might not be a PRV that needs changing.

It's a 10 mile drive to where they live and I have said I will go and have a look on Friday night when I finish to see what needs doing and order any parts to do the job early next week. (I'm away for the weekend).

Assuming it is the PRV what would you charge? I know it's a friend of my girlfriends but that doesn't mean a discount will be given. Will charge a price fair to them and me.

Obviously information is limited but just looking for suggestions based on the info provided.

Cheers

Get on the phone to em yourself and find out what its on!!

part cost + hourly rate + your profit

if its the boiler pressure relief is firing/stuck open the expansion vessel is likely to be kaput

Cheers. It doesn't matter what make the appliance is for me right now as it might not be a 'pressure valve' anyway. Been sent to repair a leaking pump once and it was the trv. I can find out what make it is when I have a look.

part cost + hourly rate + your profit - That will do cheers Killy.

Just been told it's oil so that rules me out.

You qualled up for Oil Killy?? You are probably closer than me.

Just been told it's oil so that rules me out.

You qualled up for Oil Killy?? You are probably closer than me.

Not on my own oftec but unlike gas safe you don't even need it.

If its the prv on the boiler you can still work on it.

i'm squeezing and pushing my own work back as it is ash!

have a bash?
Not sure when i could sort it atm

Still have a look. Same principals if its not the burner. Prv and expansion vessel or blocked flexi to ev.

Find out what boiler it is ash and let us know.
internal or external too

its likely you will be draining the whole system as oil boilers tend not to valved off much.

also before you do any work, tell em to flick it off atleast a few hours before.
They really hold there heat

Find out what boiler it is ash and let us know.
internal or external too

its likely you will be draining the whole system as oil boilers tend not to valved off much.

also before you do any work, tell em to flick it off atleast a few hours before.
They really hold there heat

Wheres the fun in that? :)

Thanks. She said the boiler is outside but what needs replacing is inside.

I'm guessing at it being an (internal) external expansion vessel.

Aye if the boiler does have valves and theyre ball valves dont touch them.

The experience might turn you to the dark side young Ash :) :)

Thanks. She said the boiler is outside but what needs replacing is inside.

I'm guessing at it being an (internal) external expansion vessel.

Weird that. With an external i normally fit a pressure gauge and filling loop inside. But just use the boilers prv.

All she can tell me is 'it's by the water tank, I know nothing about our heating system'. Probably means the cylinder. So I won't know anything more now until I go and have a look.

Other than running on oil instead of gas, do oil and gas CH systems operate the same. By that I mean do they isolate/drain/repressurise etc the same.

Yup but as simon says dont touch boiler isos!
turn it off from the wiring centre.

if you drain down and the cylinder is on the first floor, throw the hose over a wheelie bin or something so the downstairs / boiler doesn't drain out.

Thanks guys, they said it's not an emergency and Friday is ok to go round, I did offer to go round tomorrow but they said no rush. I'll go and see whats happening and get as much info as I can then come back on here and pick all your brains! :D

Hi guys, thought I'd update. Managed to get round to the job tonight after a long enough of us both not being available at the same time.

The component that needs changing is a pressure relief valve I assume. The pipe work from the valve goes to the inlet of the cylinder. I have the part number and will be ordering tomorrow.

I have added some pics for those interested. Am I right in assuming that as this is going to the inlet at the bottom of the cylinder that it is coming off the cold mains??

20140327_171326.jpg20140327_171333.jpg20140327_171403.jpg

Wait a minute they have combined ch, tprv and prv together???

where do they all run too ash????

The pic that shows the valve has the 22mm running to it and out the other side to the inlet on the cylinder. The 15mm that comes out the top of the valve runs to the pressure gauge you can see on the EV.

Am I likely to have a nightmare changing this??

Any advice/info appreciated.

The pic that shows the valve has the 22mm running to it and out the other side to the inlet on the cylinder. The 15mm that comes out the top of the valve runs to the pressure gauge you can see on the EV.

Am I likely to have a nightmare changing this??

Any advice/info appreciated.

Replacing the entire combination valves means draining the cylinder in that set up.
no drain off between the cylinder and combi valve?
the valve will have a non return (should do) so no back draining via a mains tap sadly

looking again, is that a valve on the cold inlet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock