Search the forum,

Discuss Private Work & Payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ok, So I've just started doing private work. I've done 1 job which is leading on to more work. The first one was replacing a showermate pump, regrouting the tiles and changing some basin tap cartridges. I bought all parts with my credit card, did the work and now still waiting for payment 2 weeks later :/

Going forward, I think I'd prefer cash on the day.

How do you guys do it? What's the best way? Do you request payment for parts up front? I've no idea what's the best thing to do and would welcome any suggestions.

Needless to say I'm skint most of the time so buying parts with my own cash is not preferable, but if needs be I'll do it.

Cheers all

Pay agreed price at end of job by method agreed - cash or cash

If it's a bigger job where I'll pay say over £100 on materials then I want that upfront.

You tell them you want paying. If you leave without being paid then what's the reason? If you agree into your bank then you want it done same day, there's no excuses, be polite but firm. End of.

Ok, So I've just started doing private work. I've done 1 job which is leading on to more work. The first one was replacing a showermate pump, regrouting the tiles and changing some basin tap cartridges. I bought all parts with my credit card, did the work and now still waiting for payment 2 weeks later :/

Going forward, I think I'd prefer cash on the day.

How do you guys do it? What's the best way? Do you request payment for parts up front? I've no idea what's the best thing to do and would welcome any suggestions.

Needless to say I'm skint most of the time so buying parts with my own cash is not preferable, but if needs be I'll do it.

Cheers all

I used to post all my invoices got ****ed off with waiting for the cash.

Now I write out an NCR invoice on completion.

I'd just go round there mate, they will feel more awkward than you

Private work is cash.....so you either get some up front for the materials or get a slush fund going....make a decision on how much your ceiling will be to spend on the mats before asking for the cash ie small stuff like ball valves, washing machine taps, etc ...or get a cash account with a local merchant

30 days for big work (upto 5 mil) and 15 days for normal work (upto 5k)

Payment on completion full installs material cost up front boiler changes I'll risk it but if they didn't pay then it would be removed there and then!

To be fair I'm a good judge of character and if in doubt I wouldn't take the job on.

Last edited:
PJs are cash, cash only on completion no t/c, tax etc, that's why the customers want them done cos it's cheaper.......allegally...

Have you rang or emailed them? Some people just need a little nudge, not because they don't want to pay. It's just not at the top of their priorities.
When you give them your invoice always say you would be grateful for prompt payment so you can remain competitive.

if the materials are over £50 i ask for material money up front or before i bring them into the property, and payment on completion of job of pre agreed amount or with in two weeks if its a big job

I have my own pli insurance for my private work, have had for about 18 months now. I'm still waiting for payment as I invoiced the custard (tenant) but invoice is being paid for by landlady who lives in Australia. Submitted invoice day I finished, payment terms were payment on completion by bank transfer. Waited a few days before chasing. Tenant says she'll pay me if it wasn't in my bank in next 2 days. Landlady emails her telling her she paid it on Sunday evening. Still nothing. Chased again today and tenant is chasing her.

tbh I don't think either of them are the type to not pay up, but I don't want to bloody wait any more!!! I feel like going there and removing the pump leaving them without water to the bathroom lol but she has a baby... Plus more work out of the job.

But I think going forward, if parts are over £100 I'll ask for part payment upfront to cover parts, then rest in cash on the day of completion. And cash only. I can't be doing with waiting to be paid this long, it's a week before xmas and I still need to get the mrs a pressie lol

also as above get yourself some liabilty insurance, im paying £89 for 2mill

I've had pli for over a year with Tradesman Saver, think I pay £15 a month for 2 mil plus £2.5k tools cover

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice

tradesman saver and thats plumbing & hot works Not Gas as im still waiting on certification
How long you been with then mate? Sounds like I have the same cover but paying nearly twice as much as you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Private Work & Payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock