Discuss ptfe tape in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franz

can anyone tell me the difference between normal ptfe tape and gas ptfe tape please?

so its the same stuff.? not wanting to be thick! but what difference does it make?

one is thicker and designed for gas and the other is designed for water and thiner is my uptake

They are the same material, i.e., both "100% pure, virgin PTFE and containing less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant".

The only difference is the thickness, 0.20 and 0.075mm.

Are they not essentially different products manufactured to different standards?
The yellow gas tape MUST be used for gas.

normal ptfe only for use with water as it deterates over time and will leak were a gas yellow stuff is guarenteed for a minimum of 5 yrs and does not deterate with gas

normal ptfe only for use with water as it deterates over time and will leak were a gas yellow stuff is guarenteed for a minimum of 5 yrs and does not deterate with gas

Really? What's your source for this? I only ask as I've been trying to find out for ages what the difference is ... so far the only answer has been "yellow is for gas"! Not helpful!

Edit: Especially the five year part. What's the point in saying a gas fitting will only be gas-tight for 5 years?? If it's not going to last 50 years, it might as well only last six months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ptfe tape in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hi All, does anyone know why the water only fills 1/3 of the way please?
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock