Discuss Question regarding CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R.Oak

Hi guys, great forum here can see myself coming back very often. I have a question regarding getting on the 'Gas Safe' register.

I'm currently a self employed plumber, I hold the NVQ Level 2 in Mechanical Engineering services (100/3284/8) and Basic Plumbing studies (100/3356/7). I am looking to press on and get my 'Gas Safe' registration.

The problem I have is as a general plumber I do not have much experience with working on gas systems. I am given to understand that to sit my CCN1 assessments I am required to first have a portfolio of gas work I have completed. As a self employed plumber this is difficult to obtain because naturally I cannot touch anything gas related.

Im wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and what would be the best way to proceed from here. Is there a course in which I can build my portfolio at the test centre under the supervision of a qualified instructor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

There are some training centres/colleges who can organise a portfolio as part of your course, shop around, what area are you in?
PS when deciding who to book with, pick someone who GUARANTEES to GET you a placement, not someone who GUARANTEES to TRY to get you a placement, the devil is in the detail of the contract you will sign and pay for, and one will end in tears of frustration, and will leave you no recourse from them

There are some training centres/colleges who can organise a portfolio as part of your course, shop around, what area are you in?
PS when deciding who to book with, pick someone who GUARANTEES to GET you a placement, not someone who GUARANTEES to TRY to get you a placement, the devil is in the detail of the contract you will sign and pay for, and one will end in tears of frustration, and will leave you no recourse from them

Thanks for your reply. I am in the doset/somerset region. It's a relief to know that there are places that offer portfolio building as so far ive been told i must supply my own portfolio prior to getting there. Im willing to travel if i must so i shall keep looking until i find one of said places.

thanks again :)

I would seriously think twice about going down the gas route, I speak as someone who has only requalified in the last year myself.

Guys often end up working for free with a gas guy to do a portfolio. Not all gas guys will want to help out a potential new competitor though. You could look for an old guy that wants to retire maybe. As a plumber you must know some gas lads near you? Ask about in the merchants. The merchants themselves may be helpful.

Mr Oak one of our sponsors, certified training helps with portfolio building click on their link on the right. they are based in portsmouth maybe a tad too far for you to go.

Excessive bureaucracy + costs, ever diminishing wages, more and more ppl entering industry, less work. Two guys Ive worked with in the past have spewed it since christmas, one went back to working on a production line, the other I aint seen.

Im up in the north west, St helens/knowsley. Im talking generally here, I honestly wouldn't advise a kid starting out to go down the gas route, this guy here is a plumber already , so yeah, I see where he's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question regarding CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
i am a landlord and have had great advice here. I am using a new gas engineer/plumber who tells me Water Quality testing is now a compulsory part...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock