Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator needs regular bleeding in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

phj

One radiator in the house needs to be bled every week, it works fine otherwise and there is no sign of a leak near the radiator or in the pipes leading to it. Should I be worried about a leak?

Is it upstairs?

There is probably a leak elsewhere on the system and this radiator is where the air accumulates.

It wants sorting out, need to find where it is losing water.
Is the pressure relief valve on the boiler dripping outside for instance?

Yes it's the towel rail in the bathroom upstairs. There is a layer of dust on the pipes around the relief valve so no dripping there. I've looked at all the pipes I can see, but some are underneath floorboards and fitted carpets upstairs!

Ok. Is this a new problem or being going on for some time? Are you sure its air and not hydrogen when you vent the radiator? Hydrogen will have a rotten eggy smell.

Tie a plastic bag of water under the vent to see if its drawing in air, this sometimes only occurs when the circ pump starts or stops.

Ok. Is this a new problem or being going on for some time? Are you sure its air and not hydrogen when you vent the radiator? Hydrogen will have a rotten eggy smell.
Probably several months now - it smells of rust - and the water that comes out after the air colours the pot that I catch it in rust colour
[automerge]1605737832[/automerge]
Tie a plastic bag of water under the vent to see if its drawing in air, this sometimes only occurs when the circ pump starts or stops.
The vent is on the top of the radiator!

The vent I am referring to is the one, a 3/4 ins copper pipe, that goes up and over and is then bent down over the header tank, if you just immerse that in a plastic bag of water taped or tied to the vent pipe you will see over a fairly short period if its drawing in air occasionally as the water will disappear out of the bag, you could just hold a beaker of water under it with system running for a quick test but this is inconclusive unless the water level starts falling immediately for the reasons given in post #9.

The vent I am referring to is the one, a 3/4 ins copper pipe, that goes up and over and is then bent down over the header tank, if you just immerse that in a plastic bag of water taped or tied to the vent pipe you will see over a fairly short period if its drawing in air occasionally as the water will disappear out of the bag, you could just hold a beaker of water under it with system running for a quick test but this is inconclusive unless the water level starts falling immediately for the reasons given in post #9.
Sorry, my mistake! OK I'll give that a try.

Reply to Radiator needs regular bleeding in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
I bought the a bleed valve from S****fix about a year ago: s****fix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-nickel-2-pack/40972 It worked fine initially, but I noticed that the little bleed screw needed to be turned a little tighter each time I bled that radiator to seal it up again. Having bled it...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock