Discuss Radiators cold when boiler fires up on automatic on/off settings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wongo

My boiler (Potterton Suprima 60) fires up OK but the radiators stay cold. It happens when the heating controller is on automatic on/off time settings. The pipes close to the pump (a 20+ years old Grundfos) and Honeywell (new) diversion valve do get hot though. The controller is a Sunvic SunPro2000 installed new last July. However, when I use the manual Advance buttons to switch the heating on I do get heat on the radiators.

Nothing had changed since last July when a new PCB kit was fitted. Everything was working fine until the last few chilly days when I decided to on heating.

Could the problem be the pump or the Sunvic ?. I have the radiators bleed.

The pipes close to the pump (a 20+ years old Grundfos) and Honeywell (new) diversion valve do get hot though.
Is the pipe after the valve hot? Check as far away as you can.

when I use the manual Advance buttons to switch the heating on I do get heat on the radiators.
So the boiler is OK. The problem must be with the control system; possibly the Sunvic.

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it)?

I had the boiler fired up at 16.30 set programmed time. After 30 mins the radiators remained cold. As to the Honeywell valve,the pipes marked AB and B became vey hot but the one marked A remained lukewarm.

I then switched off both CH + HW using the Advance buttons, waited 10 mins an switched them back on. I got the boiler fired up and the radiators began to warm up. After 30 mins the radiators got hot. All the 3 Honeywell pipes A, B & AB got very hot. The pipe from the pump also got hot

Turn heating ON and hot water OFF.

Do the rads get hot?

Turn the Hot water ON and turn cylinder thermostat down.

Do the rads get hot?

The pipe from the pump feeds AB on the valve.

Who changed the motorised valve? Did it ever work correctly with the new valve?

AW, yes the Honeywell valve has been working ever since it was fitted brand new last September.

DIY, when I manually fired up both CH and HW this afternoon the radiators did get hot and even when I off HW.

It was different when the boiler fired up at set times this morning and this evening. I set both CH and HW to come on/off same times. The radiators stayed cold even after 30 mins. But the moment I off HW I could hear a splash sound in the boiler and the radiators started to heat up. I don't know what you can make of this. The issue of cold radiators only occurs when the boiler fires up on set on/off times. It is a recent issue.

Got the Sunvic controller replaced by the seller today. Now everything is working as it should be. So the issue was with Sunvic controller which lasted only 7 months from new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators cold when boiler fires up on automatic on/off settings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock