Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Rated people makes me laugh. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
About 3 weeks ago someone put a job on for a boiler change, they wanted a worcester fitting and they wanted it done for 2k, 2 people bought it (I wasn't one of them) and now a job has come back in pretty much the same area wanting a landlord gas safety check and the gas connecting to a boiler so they get their 5 year warranty on a new worcester boiler! Lol.

That's why i gave up on it about 18 months ago, it's the trash of the trade, bottom prices, top of the range demands = 0 profit

That's why i gave up on it about 18 months ago, it's the trash of the trade, bottom prices, top of the range demands = 0 profit

I must say I was doing quite well on it sep-no last year, all the jobs were little jobs though like fitting outside taps etc. I noticed that once someone bought the job nobody else would (the big jobs are different) and £40 for 20 minutes work is good enough for me at the moment.

The bigger jobs I noticed that though, I was speaking to a lad who I play darts with and he said roughly what do I charge for a boiler fit as his mate does a lot through rated people I said combi swap starting £1500 if it needs nothing else and he said his mate is about 1200-1300 and fitting a worcester! I said he's welcome to them jobs.

I think these treads should go on the public forums to show the public how pathetic rated people is ,trusted trader etc etc .

They then know we get shafted on them .

When i first tried getting into joe publics houses i used my hammer and won a job for bathroom , got utterly shafted on it big time by the cust who turned out to be a cust from hell . Totally got shafted on the price after i told them what they would get for the money he wanted to pay .

He deviated the work big time and when i said no or its extras i had nuisance calls plus stalked on the net . Several months it went on for until i got so annoyed i ended sending a email over detailing his behaviour and then about a week later i bumped into him and his wife in the street . Was lucky i never got arrested thats all I'm saying on it .

Not again for me if i am quiet rather do week or three of contracting

Checkacowboy etc should be boycotted.
Milking money from tradesmen by people who have never lifted a spanner in their life. We did alright before they were around, the work still got done and all of the money went to the tradesman.
Mostly skiflints and awkward customers getting cowboys and unqualified people to do ther dirty work dirt cheap. These companies pray on tradesmen down on their luck during quiet periods who pay for leads sent to many only to be undercut by some monkey.

not sure why you say checkatrade are cowboys, they dont sell any jobs but are just there proving what a great company you run, not saying they work for everyone, its taken a while to get going but brings in a steady stream of work now.

Checkacowboy etc should be boycotted.
Milking money from tradesmen by people who have never lifted a spanner in their life. We did alright before they were around, the work still got done and all of the money went to the tradesman.
Mostly skiflints and awkward customers getting cowboys and unqualified people to do ther dirty work dirt cheap. These companies pray on tradesmen down on their luck during quiet periods who pay for leads sent to many only to be undercut by some monkey.
i have to disagree with your comment on checkatrade and i don't use them but to me there no different from advertising in the paper or yellow pages etc. Totally agree in respect to rated people though total pap.

Let me get this straight, on Rated People you " buy the job " but may not get it ?

How much do you pay for a small job like changing a syphon in a close coupled WC cistern?

Checkatrade dont sell leads. It was very slow to get going, but its brought in some very nice jobs earning very happy money.

I just assumed they were another company selling leads like service magic, findatrade etc I may be wrong

Checkatrade is more like tripadvisor - your customers rate your work, and that acts as a reference for future potential customers.

The people who do best with it seem to be the ones who started earliest in their area, because once someone has pulled away, and got 30 or 40 good references, its very hard to catch them up.

Do a google search for checkatrade hastings plumber.

Our very own Mike Jackson is top of the tree!

Last edited by a moderator:
Checkatrade is more like tripadvisor - your customers rate your work, and that acts as a reference for future potential customers.

The people who do best with it seem to be the ones who started earliest in their area, because once someone has pulled away, and got 30 or 40 good references, its very hard to catch them up.

There must only be one plumber in Hastings then ;)

Agree with this 100% We've had another plumber move into the area who is on Checkatrade. He's brought 30 odd reviews with him. I've decided to offer all my customers £5 off their next job if they complete an honest review on the service they've received from us. We're getting more reviews than him. My plan is to make sure there is no point paying his £700 next year, just like the electrician we ran off there last year.

If you're not the one with the most reviews it's a very expensive way to advertise but if you're in the lucky position we are it works incredibly well. We just got another property renovation job from it on Monday, lady handed me the keys during the quote appointment, after I told her we normally do larger work on a day rate.. Don't miss an opportunity to get on there if there is no one in your area. We've been members for 4 years now and I would be lost without it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rated people makes me laugh. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock