Discuss Removing the collar shroud in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, firstly is there a shroud which is fitted to this tap?
If there is I'm finding it very difficult to remove. It's a deva monobloc tap.

Read something simiar that a rubber strap wrench may be required, however need to ascertain if the tap has a collar(shroud) as it is very difficult to see a joint. However the material is plastic rather than brass as
It has chipped a little.
Thanks
Pisces

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_142114.jpg
    IMG_20200606_142114.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200606_135024.jpg
    IMG_20200606_135024.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes it has a shroud.

This will either screw off or pull off.

I have spent ages trying to unscrew one only to find it quite easily pulled straight off. Pull off ones are ‘held’ by an o-ring which can get gunked up and then holds tight.

In either case (screw or pull) it can be helpful to pour some very hot water over it to provide a thermal shock- need to wear rubber gloves to then turn it as metal will be too hot to touch.

Can`t be certain from the photos however no harm in trying ..................... Pour boiling hot water over it to expand it a little bit then don the marigolds and try unscrewing.

If you are talking about the Baby Boa straps, don't bother. I find the rubber strap is elastic and prevents you from being able to get a decent grip. If they used reinforced rubber, they would work better, but I suppose the advantage of stretchy rubber is that you can't break the tool, because it slips instead. As RPM has suggested, rubber gloves are better. (I actually have a special grippy cloth thing that used to be someone's grandmother's).

You mentioned a rubber strap in the first post.
Ric, some are better than others.
Agreed. I once had (on loan) a canvas strap wrench that was very very good. If you know of a good one, please do let me know as it is a tool I feel I'm missing. The only ones I've ever seen on sale are the rubber Boa ones, sadly, and I can grip better with my hands than with the one I have!

Reply to Removing the collar shroud in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can you help. I’m trying to replace the cartridge on our monobloc kitchen mixer tap. I’ve found the secret hexnut and removed the handle...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace the washers in a 1960's bathroom that has BBC (Barking Brassware Company) basin and matching bath taps fitted. Having...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding the diverter on my bathroom taps. Please see attached picture. The diverter lever is very stiff and...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock