Discuss Repair of a crecked plastic toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisXenon

My toilet seat cracked through last week.

It's an unusual design - Cabria Ideal Standard - in that the hinged are higher than the rim of the bowl, meaning the seat curves down to meet it, and no ordinary replacement seat will fit it - it only touched the bowl at the hinges and the very top - the stabilizers are air born and the seat tilts forward. It would crack through very quickly, I imagine, and in any case, looks very odd. The cheapest replacement I can find online is £99, so I want to repair it.

The underside is dished, allowing the chance to use that space to repair it.

Epoxy glue broke on the first outing. My next thought was glass fibre enclosing re-enforcing steel strips stuck to the underside in the concavity, but the guy selling the fibre glass said it may not stick well to the plastic seat. He advised a plastic repair kit, but the only ones I can find are for car bumpers, where strength against flexing is not a concern.

So I'm stuck and wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions. I'd just eat the £99 bill if I wasn't very hard up.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

by the time you've spent money on epoxy resin & various glues & fibre glass you may as well have just bought a new seat imo.

by the time you've spent money on epoxy resin & various glues & fibre glass you may as well have just bought a new seat imo.

The resin kit is £12 and the new seat is £99. £87 may be a trifle for you but it's a big deal for me.

Doubt very much that the repair will work. You'll prob end up with a new seat and more out of pocket than if you had just replaced the seat in the first place. Blod's advice was sound imho

As Simon says, you're going to spend money on different remedies and still finish up buying a new seat. If you're not careful the bill for the seat could finish up at well over a ton.

Blod's advice was NOT sound, It was dismissed an £87 cost saving as not being worth it.
Your advice is not sound either because it is based on unreasoning pessimism.
You don't think it will work but don't bother to say why.

Blod's advice was NOT sound, It was dismissed an £87 cost saving as not being worth it.
Your advice is not sound either because it is based on unreasoning pessimism.
You don't think it will work but don't bother to say why.

Why ask for advice and then totally ignore it because it's not what you want to hear. You remind me of my daughter when she was 5. She'd ask a question, be told the answer and say "no it isn't".

No pun intended but crack on.

It's just possible, Chris, that the guys who have provided advice are experienced in trying to repair such things and have failed. That is what the forum is all about, learning from other more experienced people.

you need to think of the result of slapping your bum down on that repaired seat one day that immediately snaps and opens up leaving 2 nice razor sharp edges that slice quickly into your gonads, removing the need for a visit to your doc in years to come or worse still rearranging some female's lady parts. Botching a seat to save money wont work and can be rather dangerous to say the least

It's just possible, Chris, that the guys who have provided advice are experienced in trying to repair such things and have failed. That is what the forum is all about, learning from other more experienced people.

Paulus,

If BLOD was giving plumbing advice you'd have a point, but wasn't. He's telling me that £87 isn't worth worrying about, and I absolutely reserve the right to differ on that matter of affordability.

If Simon G had substantiate his suspicion, then you'd have a point, but he didn't. He just said he doubted it would work, without saying why. Granted I could take that on faith, but faced with spending £99 I don't have, I was hoping for something I could believe in. I've never been good at blind faith.

Contrast that with the guy I tried to buy a glass fibre kit from on Ebay. He told me it was unlikely to work as the resin would not adhere properly to the seat. Now THAT was good advice. He gave me the benefit of his expertise - expertise I do not have - in less than five minutes, and in giving it to me, he lost a sale. Impressive. That's the kind of bloke I like. But that's not what's happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Repair of a crecked plastic toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock