Discuss Replace a boss connection with a strap on boss? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks

DSC_0452[1].jpg

I have a customer who seems to have an issue with a blockage in his 40mm bath waste which drops down to 32mm pipe just before going into a 4" boss connector. In other words I believe an obstruction has passed down his 40mm pipe but is now lodged firmly in the 32mm section. Whilst hopefully I should be able to remove this by cutting into the pipe just before it reduces down, there is a reasonable chance I may have to cut into 32mm fittings themselves which means that, I may have to do something with the 4" boss connector. He may also want the boss connector replaced in order to prevent this kind of thing happening again. The problem is of course the boss connector is glued with the bottom of it also in concrete so changing it would be no easy task.

The question is therefore what do people think of possibly replacing the connectors boss with a new strap on boss?

Hi Folks

Just a follow up posting on the above thread.

Having made better access to the boss connector please now find close up image.

DSC_0470.jpg

As you too will probably have concluded there would seem to be no way you could replace the current boss connection with a bigger strap on boss on account of the boss connectors contouring.

Another colleague did however suggest cutting and capping off and then cutting a new hole in the boss and using 'clip and glue' connector. Have never seen these but apparently they are available from Gregorys London N13?!

Anyway I did not have to resort to any such measures in the end as when got closer to the pipework, noticed that two of the connectors were pushfit so was able to access the pipework without any damage.

The blockage was also not as imagined an immovable object jammed by constricting pipework but rather just heavily crusted limescale! See further image

View attachment 24909

On further consideration a single solid obstruction was probably unlikely as would have to get past trap which like the 'constricting' pipework just before the boss was actually 1 1/2" (40mm). The wider pipework in between actually being 50mm HDPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace a boss connection with a strap on boss? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock