Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Replacement Boiler query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allgoode

Gas Engineer
Hi all again,

Another different query to see where the votes go.

Customer has a Potterton Suprima 40 boiler and Gledhill Boilermate 3 to be replaced.

Property detached 3 bed with main bathroom & en-suite shower.

Occupied by retired couple.

They are looking to replace the kitchen around the same time.

I have suggested that as they want an efficient, reliable boiler, that ripping out the Potterton & fitting a Logic+ 30kw or Vogue C32 combi with associated Ideal Rf programmable timer/stat with weather comp which both have long guarantee's on all fittings that this is the best way forwards for them.

The only issue I see is the placement of the boiler.

I can either fit in the kitchen in which case the Logic+ would fit inside a cupboard & the Vogue would be visible but as it's pleasing on the eye is not a big deal to me or alternatively fit in the airing cupboard where the boilermate 3 lives.

Again no problems with either as I will be upgrading the supply pipe to either option & flueing out through the wall.

The pro's of the airing cupboard is that all the pipes are there & readily accessible bar the gas supply and condensate pipe run and it will minimise disruption if the work is to be carried out prior to the kitchen fit. Access for servicing will be good as well with the boiler & magnaclean system filter being readily accessible as well. Also for the kitchen it will free up another cupboard.

For the kitchen it's pro's are that the boiler is about 4ft away from the sink and that the existing flow & return are already there. For condensate waste disposal it is a simple job to connect into existing waste.
If boiler change at same time as kitchen work then pipes can disappear behind tiling.

Pricing between the Logic+ & Vogue is about £200 but you get the extra 3 yrs warranty on the Vogue for that.

Cant think of anything else but would welcome any advice/comments.

Thanks,

Andy

I'd be inclined to fit in the airing cupboard if its easy enough to get gas and condense there. The hot water draw off would be the same length as before so draw off times would be comparable.
Typically you won't get the same performance hot water wise with a combi as the boilermate. Although they are a bit of a turd they give a good hot water flow rate. As you say 'retired couple' so they shouldn't have a large hw demand..
As far as the boiler, don't really fit ideal so can't comment

Last edited:
As their elderly what about unvented cylinder in the a/c along with a sys boiler? Gives them a backup using the dedicated supply to the Gledhill; I think it would hvae to be down rated by a sparks at the MCB tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement Boiler query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I seek some advice on replacing an existing regular boiler. I currently have an old Potterton 10-16 Netaheat electronic, which is around 35...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just a query about what size in KW gas combi boiler do I need for a top floor flat (3rd floor). I have a Vokera Easi heat plus...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock