Search the forum,

Discuss Request to move gas meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi everyone, happy new year. I Hope you all had a good christmas.

I have received an email from a cust asking me to move their gas meter. Less than a meter apparently. From a larder cupboard to an outside wall.

The gas supplier would have to repipe the supply and move the meter I know but would they carry out reconnecting the meter to get them up and running?

I'm assuming they would do the whole job so nothing will be left for me.
I'm just checking so I can go back to the cust and tell her she is best off going straight to the supplier, nothing to gain for me now but she might appreciate the help and cone back in the future.

no they wouldn't do the outlet side (as there not qualified)

they would move and remount the meter and then you would need to pipe up from existing location to new location

I have just had a regular ask me the same thing. CADENT moved the meter from the centre of a top floor masionette to an outside wall. They also ran a brand new external steel gas main on the outside of the masionette straight to the 22mm for the boiler. So I bet it depends on what is agreed with them at the time.

I have just had a regular ask me the same thing. CADENT moved the meter from the centre of a top floor masionette to an outside wall. They also ran a brand new external steel gas main on the outside of the masionette straight to the 22mm for the boiler. So I bet it depends on what is agreed with them at the time.

????? why did they run a steel pipe

sounds like contractors mate and not cadent themselves

Thanks ShaunCorbs. I'll pass the info on and see how it goes.

Harvest Fields I have spoken to my cust and told them to arrange the moving the meter side of things first. I don't know how the gas suppliers work it, I'd assume they would have contracts with firms who can do the bits they can't and take a fee.

????? why did they run a steel pipe

sounds like contractors mate and not cadent themselves
It was copper originally, around the outside of the masionette, but loads have been stolen. So they have done them in steal now

I had a customer I fitted a gas fire for ran a new pipe from the meter did a TT no drop while I was there they ask about moving the meter as the wanted a new kitchen and gas meter in the way I told them to contact transco, they relocated the meter to out side and run a 22mm Gas from meter to old meter position, I got call back to install a new gas pipe for cooker, did a TT test before I started 3mb drop on the new gas pipe they fitted but not only was there a gas leak the customer had 2 gas fires 1 cooker and a 40kw Combi, when I walked in I said it didn’t look right Gas is too small for the extra run.
I tested the boiler for working pressure 21 at meter 14 at boiler without any other appliances running we had to get transco back to repipe, all I’m trying to say is don’t expect them to do it right

Thanks ShaunCorbs. I'll pass the info on and see how it goes.

Harvest Fields I have spoken to my cust and told them to arrange the moving the meter side of things first. I don't know how the gas suppliers work it, I'd assume they would have contracts with firms who can do the bits they can't and take a fee.

Normally you would arrange to go the same day and once they disappear you reconnect, test, purge and re-commission.

I've never had them reconnect up to existing supply unless it has already been 1st fixed to within 300 mm of the location of the new meter. They have always said that it is not there responsibility after the meter and to employ a GSR to pipe up to the new meter location TT & purge.

If the meter reposition had been instigated by Cadent for whatever reason, say mains renewal or leak on service, then they will use their contractors to reconnect and, if necessary, replace or reposition bond.
If the house holder has requested and paid for the meter move, then the HH has to arrange and pay for the internals.

If the meter reposition had been instigated by Cadent for whatever reason, say mains renewal or leak on service, then they will use their contractors to reconnect and, if necessary, replace or reposition bond.
If the house holder has requested and paid for the meter move, then the HH has to arrange and pay for the internals.
I think they did them all the same in a row.

Sorry. Bad communication then. 4 sets of masionettes all on the same road. All gas meters moved from middle of house to outside external wall. So that would explain why they did the lot.

Sorry. Bad communication then. 4 sets of masionettes all on the same road. All gas meters moved from middle of house to outside external wall. So that would explain why they did the lot.

Ah. Yes. I had forgotten your earlier post. Yes, in that circumstance they are responsible for the internals. But am surprised they did it in steel. I would have thought it was more expensive than in copper (suppose it depends on complexity of run and amount if copper), and once fitted, theft is not their problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Request to move gas meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There is currently a 28mm gas pipe from meter to the boiler which is approx 25m and a further 5m to the gas cooker. My gas engineer is saying that the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I live in a block of 5 flats. The 5 meters are mounted outside in a row, according to the flat numbers, 1-2-3-4-5. Flat 4 is a rental and had the gas meter removed many years ago, although the meter box (minus the door) pipework and back plate remain, there is a padlock type device where...
Replies
Views
I need to move my gas meter about 6 feet away. The supply pipe would have to go back and under the wall behind as in the pictures. How do I go about it please? Do I need to contact British Gas or Gas Safe engineers do this kind of thing?
Replies
Views
Hi All, Thanks for taking a look at this. I currently have a massive condensation patch on the inside of my wall behind my gas meter (Pics attached.) The box lock is damaged and the seal around the enclosure has perished so ideally I would like to replace the box, however my understanding is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock