Discuss RIELLO oil fired boiler fan burned out, losing ht spark when light on photocell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiprat

new member here after a bit of advice.
i'm a service engineer for high pressure washers so oil fired systems i am used to.

I have a problem with an oil fired garage heating system using a Riello oil burner and flame failure device.
i think the riello burner is a MECTRONIC 100000 btu , there's no identification on it so its hard to identify , all rusty etc .approximately from the 80s looking at the nameplate on the heater.

it has a 480 se flame control device on it type 12OTO. with a large photocell.

problem is that the blower fan burnt out, i have changed the blower fan for a universal blower fan as we use on pressure washers. the original one had two windings with 3 wires brown blue and black,with the capacitor leads coming from the control box.

the control box had a dry joint on the main solenoid coil which is why the fan motor burnt out, i have resoldered the dry joint.

On testing with the burner head off if i keep the photocell in the dark the unit trips off in 5 secs as it should.
What i cant understand is when testing the burner photocell by shining a torch onto the photocell just as the fuel solenoid opens, which in my experience should tell the unit that everything is ok and keep running, the HT turns off and the fuel solenoid stays on. if i remove the torch from the photocell the HT returns.

I havent actually tried the burner back on the machine as yet as i want to make sure its ok.

is it because of fitting the universal blower fan or is it the control box that is faulty, it is a pretty basic control box.

any suggestions as to what to test and which way to go please.

The burner was working fine last year after a new fuel jet and filter, the garage have been using the unit just as a cold air blower, as it is ducted throughout the garage, throughout the summer, the fault appeared as they turned the unit on to heat.

thanks in anticipation,
Andy

the control box has detected a flame out and is trying to esablish re-ignition. that is what your test is proving.

its constant ignition, if it looses ignition the fuel is still going in but no spark to ignite it.
will have to test it on heater i think, any suggestions?

sorry mate, your losing me, constant ignition? it either ignites or it doesnt. if flame failure is detected the burner will probably try to re establish a start. if thats unsuccessful you will get lockout, you wont get fuel spewing in unmonitored. can you fire it on the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RIELLO oil fired boiler fan burned out, losing ht spark when light on photocell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not...
Replies
Views
Nightmare.. Hi guys need advice. Went to service a friends boiler that hasn't been service in years... He has cleaned out the heat exchanger from...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Riello RDB2 and it gets power, tries to fire but no spark or flame and the red light on the push button comes back on. Smoke comes out...
Replies
Views
I have an old but good Trianco EuroStar 50-60 (S) oil fired boiler with a Riello RBL G5 BF burner which has been well maintained and regularly...
Replies
Views
We have a Rayburn 460k Nuway burner which is now over 20 years old which has been regularly serviced and maintained by myself and has generally...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock