Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys hope you can help me here. I have just finished a new heating system a old ladies bunglow. It is a friend of my dads that he looks after. anyway, she is 96 years old and is visually impaired, therefore the standard programmable room stat that i put in is no good for her. She needs something that she can just talk to or something like that. I have searched high and low for something. The only thing i can find is called "The Kelvin Talking Voice Activated Programmable Room Thermostat". The only trouble with this is that it is can only be used in the USA. I have emailed the people that make the unit and they they cant help so they gave me the email address of the independent living aids in the USA so I emailed them and even they can't help. So i am asking if anyone has ever seen or bought anything like this here in the UK. :mad:

My dad is also visually impaired and the best people to speak to are probably the royal society for the blind. They normally have things you can attach to ordinary household objects to assist people.

normal room stat put a notch or tell her to listen for the click which will be at about 68deg

My dad is also visually impaired and the best people to speak to are probably the royal society for the blind. They normally have things you can attach to ordinary household objects to assist people.

Yeah spoke to them as well mate but even they cant help. Thanks anyway

normal room stat put a notch or tell her to listen for the click which will be at about 68deg

Will mention this to my father to see what he thinks but i think she will even struggle with that. She is not the easiest of people to please !

Last edited:
The only thing i can find is called "The Kelvin Talking Voice Activated Programmable Room Thermostat". The only trouble with this is that it is can only be used in the USA.
Why do you say it can only be used in the USA? I have just looked at the installation instructions and it seems to be a fairly standard volt-free thermostat. It just says it must not be used on either 100V 0r 230V systems. The wiring instructions are a bit unusual, but that's America! Provided the boiler uses low voltage connections for the Switched Live, I can't see any problem. Which boiler (make/model) have you installed?

Why do you say it can only be used in the USA? I have just looked at the installation instructions and it seems to be a fairly standard volt-free thermostat. It just says it must not be used on either 100V 0r 230V systems. The wiring instructions are a bit unusual, but that's America! Provided the boiler uses low voltage connections for the Switched Live, I can't see any problem. Which boiler (make/model) have you installed?

Yeah the instructions do seem a bit complicated i must admit. The boiler i fitted was a Baxi DuoTec 24. Good idea of yours. didnt think of the volt free connections. not sure if the boiler has it though. will have a look.
Thanks.

Yeah the instructions do seem a bit complicated i must admit. The boiler i fitted was a Baxi DuoTec 24. Good idea of yours. didnt think of the volt free connections. not sure if the boiler has it though. will have a look.
Thanks.

Just checked on the boiler and it says that the room stat must be able to switch 230 volt. dammmmm:mad:

Last edited:
What about a bit of fiddeling? , use the L/V stat to pull in a 230V relay switch

The Drayton + RF Digistat has a wheel that uses a firm click to signify 0.5 degree temperature change, which is good but only if you know all the time what temperature you are already set at (if you cant see the small display).
However it does have a large SET button in the middle of the unit which allows you to set a minimum and a maximum temperature. What you could do to get over your problem is use a single channel clock left on all the time near the boiler then preset say 12 degrees as low and 21 degrees as high on the room stat. Then all the lady needs to do is press the button to go between her high and low setting which would effectively give her an on and off.
Its not ideal but does give her control over her heating at the touch of one large button.

its on this page with downloadable instructions.

Drayton Central Heating Controls

Hi

Struggle to believe that the Royal Society cant help, this cant be the only case needing a special room stat

A little research on the net has foud this website

Help with seeing and gripping : Taking control : Ricability

Depending on the level of vision you can put raised dots or bright marker at certain points.

Save money I would get this one and whack a big bright arrow showing a preffered temp and put the raised dots on the arrow as well then she knows what temp she is at when it points down

hc_E3DANF3.gif

speak to a sparks, jason s is good!
ive no doubt you could use the american jobby, will have to be linked to the boiler by a home made box with a relay in it, but again easily built and end of problem.

good luck
shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
S
I have a brand new, unboxed shower/wet room screen from KRION purchased from Porcelanosa UK. It is the Attica 1 model, as shown in the attached...
Replies
Views
Sebastian T
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock