Discuss Rough day today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Started last night really. Nipped into a job on the way home. Noisy radiators. Time I got there last night the heating had packed up all together. Header tank was full but rads and vents above boiler wouldn't bleed. A quick check with a magnet had it sticking to the pipe where the combined F&E teed into the flow above the boiler. Drained what I could out of the system, syphoned the header tank into a bucket and cut the pipe out with the wet vac on hand to suck up the water. The pipe was solid for 6 inches so cleaned it out and re assembled. Refilled and chucked some cleaner in. All working for the moment. Got to go back and flush and fit a magnaclean. Got in at 8.30 last night.

Got up this morning feeling a bit rough and threw up at 5. Managed to walk the dogs at 6.30 and had a kip for half an hour on the sofa. Really didn't feel like going out this morning but I'd booked a panic boiler swap for an old girl round the corner with no heating and hot water. Felt really weak but I decided to try and get her up and running today. I was hoping to finish it in a day but I knew that was not possible with the way I felt. I hadn't eaten anything but I was swigging Lucozade which was keeping me going (just).

The old boiler was a Neataheat 16-22 (later one without the asbestos). Seemed a bit odd because it's only a two up two down. As I stripped it apart it was obvious that it had been second hand when fitted. Screws missing from the flue hood, Not all screws holding it back to the flue plenum.

I removed the last screw holding it to the plenum and the bloody thing fell off the wall. Instead of using the proper lower mounting plate they had used a piece of U section steel to rest the boiler on. I really wasn't expecting that but I managed to sort of catch it and was teetering up the steps with this great lump of cast. I had a window to my right, a toilet under me and a bath to the left. I just about managed to get it down to the floor but definitely tweaked something in my back. The plenum was fixed back to the wall with 3 screws, none of which held when I gave it a tug. If anyone had pulled on the bottom of the boiler it would have come off the wall.

Managed to get the new boiler up and running before I admitted defeat. But it took me 8 hours for 4 hours work.

Don't think it's novovirus. I think it's just a case of food poisoning. Should really have taken the day off yesterday but wanted to get the old dear up and running and I suffered for it last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rough day today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back