Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Rough day today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Started last night really. Nipped into a job on the way home. Noisy radiators. Time I got there last night the heating had packed up all together. Header tank was full but rads and vents above boiler wouldn't bleed. A quick check with a magnet had it sticking to the pipe where the combined F&E teed into the flow above the boiler. Drained what I could out of the system, syphoned the header tank into a bucket and cut the pipe out with the wet vac on hand to suck up the water. The pipe was solid for 6 inches so cleaned it out and re assembled. Refilled and chucked some cleaner in. All working for the moment. Got to go back and flush and fit a magnaclean. Got in at 8.30 last night.

Got up this morning feeling a bit rough and threw up at 5. Managed to walk the dogs at 6.30 and had a kip for half an hour on the sofa. Really didn't feel like going out this morning but I'd booked a panic boiler swap for an old girl round the corner with no heating and hot water. Felt really weak but I decided to try and get her up and running today. I was hoping to finish it in a day but I knew that was not possible with the way I felt. I hadn't eaten anything but I was swigging Lucozade which was keeping me going (just).

The old boiler was a Neataheat 16-22 (later one without the asbestos). Seemed a bit odd because it's only a two up two down. As I stripped it apart it was obvious that it had been second hand when fitted. Screws missing from the flue hood, Not all screws holding it back to the flue plenum.

I removed the last screw holding it to the plenum and the bloody thing fell off the wall. Instead of using the proper lower mounting plate they had used a piece of U section steel to rest the boiler on. I really wasn't expecting that but I managed to sort of catch it and was teetering up the steps with this great lump of cast. I had a window to my right, a toilet under me and a bath to the left. I just about managed to get it down to the floor but definitely tweaked something in my back. The plenum was fixed back to the wall with 3 screws, none of which held when I gave it a tug. If anyone had pulled on the bottom of the boiler it would have come off the wall.

Managed to get the new boiler up and running before I admitted defeat. But it took me 8 hours for 4 hours work.

Natures way of telling you to ease up mike. Sounds like you need a day of rest sooner rather than later mate. Hope you feel better soon.

Feel for you Mike, especially just before the Christmas break.

Doctor Lane prescribes an early night tonight with lots of rest before you wear yourself out!!
SmileyFace_doctor.jpg

I'd feel sick as well if I was up at five in the morning. That's really early mate. Do you do this everyday?

hopefully you feel better soon and have a decent rest over Xmas. Sometimes a few days to yourself can sort you right out and have you feeling back to normal.

If I where you I'd spend some time sorting out your new van. I park the van in the garage and give it a good going over. I find it quite relaxing giving it a good sort out in the back.

God you did we'll with the Neta Heat. On a good day I need help getting them of the wall. You need a real fella, gets a it much after a busy spell in this job. I've just had a boiler swap cancelled and I'm relieved.

God you did we'll with the Neta Heat. On a good day I need help getting them of the wall.

Yep - I wouldn't fancy arm-wresting a Netaheat if I was fully fit and 25 years younger.

God you did we'll with the Neta Heat. On a good day I need help getting them of the wall. You need a real fella, gets a it much after a busy spell in this job. I've just had a boiler swap cancelled and I'm relieved.

Sorry did a zeb. That's meant to say "need a rest fella"

Man Up! :)

i dont work when feeling proper sick anymore, i used to but a couple of times its left me in bed for a week or worse. It catches up with you at some point.

hope you feel beter soon Mike.

Bloody hell, here's me thinking that there's only one 5 o'clock in the day.

Anyway, hope you're feeling better soon Mike, but there's somedays you need to think about yourself first.

Just say 'NO'.

At least you got the Beast Mike. Put s winch on it an drag boilers off the wall in future!

Feeling for you cocker!

Well I've decided to cancel today. Went to bed at 6 last night and laid there shivering until I fell asleep. Woke up in the early hours and had to rush to the khazi. Took some immodium and went back to bed and woke up at 6.15. Feel like crap still and still sh*tting through the eye of a needle so discretion is the better part of valour and I'm staying home. I'm already on my second pair of underpants as I've followed through once.

there is a bug going round that lasts about 7 days, norovirus or summat, get well soon mike, look after yourself

Don't think it's novovirus. I think it's just a case of food poisoning. Should really have taken the day off yesterday but wanted to get the old dear up and running and I suffered for it last night.

Hope you feel better soon Mike. That Old dear is lucky to have guys like you on her doorstep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rough day today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock