Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Running overflow pipe underneath floorboards as saniflo waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.
I have just looked at a job where the customer requires a wc and basin fitted in an elderly relative's room 7meters away from the soil stack in the kitchen.

I have decided to fit a Sanitop macerator to pump the waste up to the ceiling and run 22mm pipe through the joists to the soil stack in a kitchen cupboard.

I have spoken to Saniflo and their technical advice advised to use overflow pipe with glued fittings.

I am concerned that the fittings may leak over time and I don't want this as the pipe will be under the floorboards.

Would you still go ahead and use overflow pipe, or advise the customer to use copper/pe-x.

Thanks

Do the vertical in 21.5 solvent weld overflow, once at the highest point run 32mm solvent weld to the stack with a minimum fall of 10mm per metre. Average 240v UK macerator discharge pressure is around 15 - 20psi so as long as you use pipe cleaner on all the joints and allow 1hr before using you will be ok. Please remember no sharp 90 degree elbows in the run, only one vertical allowed and it must be within 300mm of leaving the pump and finally one day someone will have to unblock it so give good access. Saniflo`s and the young and the old do not mix well.
Please use the warning sticker supplied, under the seat lid is a good place then it is out of sight and makes people look at it when raising the lid.

Last edited:
Thanks RPM. I am unsure if using 32mm solvent weld pipe is a good idea as I am going across the joists so will need to drill through them. I am thinking that I need to use a smaller pipe eg 22mm copper/speedfit/overflow so the holes in the joists won'tbe so big.

You can use 21.5 but 32 is my size of choice as less chance of restrictions. Do not use a flexi pipe as it will sag in time and overwork the motor.
Saniflo 10 Golden Rules page tells all you need to know.
Hate sani`s and the elderly because the carers throw all sorts down the loo.

saniflow actually say to use long radius bends but ive never seen any so use 2 45s the trick is togo up to the highest point and thenit should fall all the way from there this is going to be difficult if running across the joists

Last edited:
Have you considered MDPE pipe. It can be run in one length without joints and added elbows / bends ( blocking points, less frictional resistance)

Have you considered MDPE pipe. It can be run in one length without joints and added elbows / bends ( blocking points, less frictional resistance)

Would have to be well supported to stop any dips in it through weight of water over time.

What O/d & I/d you thinking of ?

I`m sure you know the regs on notching and holes in joists better then most Ermi

Ah what's the issue sparks probably cut 100 25mm holes already. Get a 22mm speed fit in easy but the ID is poor. Like 18mm!!!

Ah what's the issue sparks probably cut 100 25mm holes already. Get a 22mm speed fit in easy but the ID is poor. Like 18mm!!!

18mm would throttle the pump and shorten the life span of the motor. Seen inline valves fitted with smaller bores which caused the motor to cry enough after 3yrs.

Thanks for all your input.

18mm would throttle the pump and shorten the life span of the motor. Seen inline valves fitted with smaller bores which caused the motor to cry enough after 3yrs.

In light of this information may steer away from speedfit etc as the inserts will cause further resistance, and what rpm pointed out with respect to the pipe sagging. 32mm waste pipe is too large to drill through the joists especially at the start and end of the run, and I will not be able to thread copper through the joists as it is too rigid.

I am leaning towards overflow pipe although having it below the floorboards with solvent weld fittings is a cause for concern. Saniflo technical help suggested overflow pipe will be fine if I use cleaner and glue the pipe correctly.

Hi there Subby , Dont worry about solvent weld , it will work a treat as long its all put together properly, i would only worry if the weld was an unknown brand but all the known brands will hold,
Ive seen one or two come off but i put it down to whoever installed the pipework must've used cheap n nasty solvent weld,

U can bend overflow with a pipe bender. Make sure it's warm and not straight from stores outside

Subby I understand your concerns over this job but at the end of the day your are following the MI who have +25yrs experiance, my own advice of +12yrs and I`ve never had a joint fail even on the higher pressure pumps and kris who I believe has some experiance with them so relax mate. The first couple of joints will have no more than 15 - 20 psi and any weight of water to deal with and after that the pressure is greatly reduced as it`s no more than a downhill water slide. Just be sure to use new tubs of cleaner and solvent weld and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running overflow pipe underneath floorboards as saniflo waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock