Discuss Safety Drop Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

I was "Googling" the other day out of interest to find out if there is much information on how to do a domestic safety gas drop test.

Surprisingly I found very little.

I thought it seems the next step is not tell drivers what the centre pedal is for in their cars.

Old hands will tell you people can't always rely on smelling gas, to find they have a leak, but they should know how drop tests are conducted even if they don't or can't do it themselves. That way they can ask for one to be done.

Just seems a bit soft not to have this safety information freely available.

I was "Googling" the other day out of interest to find out if there is much information on how to do a domestic safety gas drop test.

Surprisingly I found very little.

I thought it seems the next step is not tell drivers what the centre pedal is for in their cars.

Old hands will tell you people can't always rely on smelling gas, to find they have a leak, but they should know how drop tests are conducted even if they don't or can't do it themselves. That way they can ask for one to be done.

Just seems a bit soft not to have this safety information freely available.
why would joe public want to know about tightness test?:confused:

got a agree with newbie1 there, why would joe bloggs need to know how to do a tightness bernie?? please elaborate. (big word for a friday night):D

Hmm!

Why shouldn't a person know that a drop test is required to test a gas system?

After all it's the public who live in houses and if a leak develops or they may suspect one for reasons other than a smell of gas, they should know the required tests.

Why the secrecy?

I think all this "Don't tell the public" is just plain silly.

Its a bit like not publishing the highway code.

Gas fitting should be open to be understood by all in the interests of safety.

Lets be honest you might know how to build a house, but if the law does not allow you to do it, your hardly likely to go out and build one are you?

But your house building knowledge might possibly help you know a well built one from a badly built one when you saw it.

Same with gas fitting. If the public know a good job when they see it and what is safe, they will probably respect the work of a gas fitter more.

In point if they know what is really involved they may not even try to have go themselves if they where going to. So telling people how things work can improve safety not make it more dangerous.

But pretending gas fitting knowledge is a secret society thing only open to those who hold the ACS would seem silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm!

Why shouldn't a person know that a drop test is required to test a gas system?

After all it's the public who live in houses and if a leak develops or they may suspect one for reasons other than a smell of gas, they should know the required tests.

Why the secrecy?

I think all this "Don't tell the public" is just plain silly.

Its a bit like not publishing the highway code.

Gas fitting should be open to be understood by all in the interests of safety.

Lets be honest you might know how to build a house, but if the law does not allow you to do it, your hardly likely to go out and build one are you?

But your house building knowledge might possibly help you know a well built one from a badly built one when you saw it.

Same with gas fitting. If the public know a good job when they see it and what is safe, they will probably respect the work of a gas fitter more.

In point if they know what is really involved they may not even try to have go themselves if they where going to. So telling people how things work can improve safety not make it more dangerous.

But pretending gas fitting knowledge is a secret society thing only open to those who hold the ACS would seem silly.
and then they will think they have the knowledge to what?bit of a silly if not stupid topic to open,imo.:(

Hi! Ward

Don't understand your reply?

I don't think gas safety is a silly topic. There might not be much free information on the net about gas testing, but Google it and see how many seem willing to sell it to you?

So the information is not secret, its getting like a lot of information seems to be now days, its available at a price.

My point is that safety information should be free if it is intended to safeguard people.

I also feel that the public should know what they are paying a gas fitter for when they come out to do work. Lets be frank we should all be able to justify what we charge for our labour. Do we give value for money?

No iam not competant to carryout gas work,but was only doing a drop test,how was i to know it would go wrong.
THATS WHY WE HAVE AN 0800 NUMBER FOR NATIONAL GRID WHICH ANYONE CAN PHONE FOR FREE AND WHY THEY ATTEND FOR FREE!
SO someone competant can make it safe for them.
That comment really takes the buiscuit you are advocating it ok for joe public to carry out gas work!
That cant be right.

Didnt some one once say "that a little knowledge can be dangerous"!

Its done at a set pressure for a set period of time, but some drops are permissible so needs to be done by a competent person FULL STOP

Problem is "No knowledge is more dangerous than none". People don't walk on cliff edges because the knowledge of what can happen if they fall off.

Nobody is advocating that a person does a drop test if they are not competent, just that they should know what is required to do one and what the standard tests are.

Often as I have said earlier people don't always smell gas and Transco out. Anyway all Transco will do, is shut off the gas and seal the supply if its not on their side of the meter. What happens to the internal pipework is then up to the landlord or the house holder not Transco.

Surely telling people how a drop test should be done, is safer than perhaps letting them have a go themselves without knowing any safety test standards, that is of course if they decide to do it themselves?

Lets be honest, if people decide they want to do the work themselves Transco or anybody else is not likely to stop them before they do, they simply will not tell anybody, just go ahead and do it.

If they do that, then I for one prefer, they have some knowledge of whats involved in doing the job than none at all. I am not advocating they do it, just that they know what is involved especially from a safety point of view.

I simply don't understand you guys, why you seem so secretive about gas fitting safety procedures.

What does a person say if the house blows up from some job they thought they where doing right, but they had no idea about the safety tests involved, so did not do any.

I am very sorry I can't stop people doing dodgy work, but perhaps I can make them aware of the safety angle before they do it. And knowing what is involved in a drop test and other gas testing is certainly a safety point.

Another aspect is. What if you call a local gas company and they are cowboys, plenty on the telly. How do you know as the customer whether they have done a good job or not if you have no idea what the safety test should be?

How many cowboy builders are shown on the telly.

How many householders paid over money for bad work?

Would they have done so if they had known how the job should be done.

How many people come on the forum moaning about work done in their homes and whether its up to standard or not, because they don't know anything about the standards required.

Bit late then I feel?

What they come on the forum for is to find out if the work is okay. And we usually tell them if it is.

Please don't assume everybody who knows what is what about gas is immediately going out to start a business.

I have been on course, where the gas engineer giving the course has said he would not register himself. In other words he teaches it he doesn't do it.

How many training agency instructors are Gas Safe registered?

They don't have to be, for its only when you physically break a gas train in the pursuit of reward do you need to be registered, but you have to be competent to do so otherwise.

Having gas knowledge is not a crime. But it sure helps you decide whether the work your having done is up to standard or not. And yes I suppose helps you decide whether you are getting value for money off the gas fitter. So I for one feel that if a customer knows that their gas safety checks have been done properly it goes some way to reassuring them it should be okay.

Seems to me that sometimes people seem afraid to tell their customers what they are doing in their homes. I have always had a good response when telling customers what I am doing and why. In point it sometimes seems to have led to more work not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Safety Drop Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock