Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Screws through pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi all,

Had an absolute mare last night while refurbing a costa coffee toilet.

I had to adjust basin pipework to allow for only chrome tails to be on show coming out the wall, did the job neatly and efficiently only to find out that upon turning the water to the bathroom back on that water was coming everywhere from within the wall.

Turns out the original pipework, 5 years old, that was running through a stud wall had a screw through it on every stud! 3 in total. Made me look bad and hard to explain that it wasn't your fault when all that everyone sees it water in the area you have been working in.

Obviously explained what had happened and all I got back was why didn't it leak before?

Whats the longest you've ever believed a run of pipework to be leak free whilst having a screw in to it? I wouldn't have thought it would have held for this long when under mains pressure

Haven't had that yet but bet a lot have had when taking out old pipe work the pipe effortlessly pulls out of the soldered fitting and think how did that ever hold water, specially when it was under pressure for years.

Not had that happen before, but I've seen fluxed up solder fittings hold back a bar of pressure before, without being soldered. In one case the customer and I reckoned it had held for at least 10 years before we got called out to fix the leak in question.

Water is a pain in the ***.

Not had that happen before, but I've seen fluxed up solder fittings hold back a bar of pressure before, without being soldered. In one case the customer and I reckoned it had held for at least 10 years before we got called out to fix the leak in question.

Water is a pain in the ***.

did an emergency as the dude put a screw through the return pipe to the boiler upstairs.
3 weeks later i went back to replace the pipe and found about 2 foot under the other floorboards a loose joint 4 foot from combi.
it had not been soldered and the boiler had been installed 4 year prior!!.

good job i found it lol.

Water is a pain in the arse but better a unsoldered water joint over a gas one, even if the pressure on the gas is that much lower.

Not quite as long as this screw but I fixed a burst years ago on a new heating install, the joiner screwed the pipe putting the board back down, had to drive 1hr back to fix it, too bad these things happen, finished and away, about 2hrs later got a call from the office to say water still coming through ceiling and getting worse, joiner etc all away home, drove back and the donkey had put the board back down but had with drawn all the screws (including the one which burst the pipe) then he fired them all back in again so the same screw burst the pipe twice, oh how I laughed

I forgot to solder a thumb vent on in the airing cupboard once, it survived a powerflush and hours of full heat. Went to bleed it at the end of the job and it came off in my hand, damned laco flux, now only use everflux as this hows leaks on cold fill up normally

I've had the same with a soldered drain off, held for a couple of weeks until I went back to second fix. Definitely not the best way to drain a system!

I forgot to solder a thumb vent on in the airing cupboard once, it survived a powerflush and hours of full heat. Went to bleed it at the end of the job and it came off in my hand, damned laco flux, now only use everflux as this hows leaks on cold fill up normally

I love how you have changed flux so it tells you when you haven't soldered a fitting haha
Bs6891 (gas) anD 6700 (water) tell us to visually inspect to confirm the fitting and pipework is properly installed before we fill it, but I suppose your way works too

Was called to fix a leak once and found a plumber had run piping behind a door frame of an internal door and the joiner hadn't realised and screwed the fame into a plastic pipe. It had been like that 3 years before it sprung a leak.

I would have thought plastic would show immediately as you would expect it
to expand and contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Screws through pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock