Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Self employed Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerard17

Hi all just after abit of advice really, I'm 24 and self employed, I did a 5 year apprenticeship and and after a few years out my time I left and went self employed as I didn't like my boss and wanted more money.
ive been self employed for nearly 2 years now an I don't no weather to carry on or take up a new job with some1. It's to stop start for me, 1 week I mite fit 2 boilers and then the next week I. MIte do a couple of little crappy jobs. Sometimes i can bank a load of money in a month and then the next not a lot. I no it evens out over the year but I just hate not having weeks of work booked in. I go to work most days but sometimes I'll have nothing until the night before.

This week I've fitted a boiler and done a couple of little jobs so I've made a good amount of money already and it's only Wednesday so I don't need to earn any more but the point being is that I hate not working or working half a day it just gets me down and I'm abit insecure when it comes to money. I don't advertise and something usually comes in but what I'd someday it never.

ive been offerd a job an just wandering weather or not to take it. The money is ok but it's working away a lot of the time an I have a wife and 2children. But it's in the renewable game so i would be learning something new other than just gas and plumbing.
Any advice would help cheers

If you work for someone else, it's unlikely you'll be happy with the money. Self employment can be hard, but you have the potential to make a months "wages" in less than a week.

Your position sounds EXACTLY like mine was/is and unfortunately we've decided to make this move in the middle of a recession. Best thing to take from this is that if you can make it now, you'll be okay when the money comes back into people's pockets.

I couldn't go back to working for someone else (especially my old boss) in this game, and if you quit now you'll lose your customer base (however small) to someone else. If you can stay afloat now, I'd say stick with it.

I personally love the fact that I can sleep in now and then, have random days off with my family, and make more money in 2 hours than most my friends make in an average 9-5 day.

EDIT: it would be nice to gain experience in the renewable technologies on the back of someone else. Can they not take you on as a subbie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good post TB. I too love the random family days etc. also love the fact you can earn a days site money in 3 hours

do you service the boilers you have fitted? this is one way to build up a work base.

you could subby in the week to the guy whos offered your a job and keep your work to weekends?

I'd have to agree with TB services. It took me around 2 years before I got my head around the 'feast or famine' work load.id stay stick with and and try and enjoy the flexibility to spend the extra time with you family. Try and spread the money out. I'm sure you will get your head around it. Imagine how you will feel going to fixed hours and the same amount regardless of how hard you work?
being self employed gives you control of your own life which is priceless to me. I think I would really struggle if I had to become an employ again. Although that being said it doesn't suit everyone.
Good luck in whatever you decide, but don't throw away your setup lightly.

I must admit I do like having the freedom especially having 2 kids it does help. I subby out to another plumber who's always got work on its just on a day rate but its not everyday. If I don't go for this job I think I mite push my business abit an try do some advertising. I've actually paid to get my van done but just need tell the feller to do it. Getting into the renewables is something I've wanted to do but is it worth burning all my bridges.

you need to diversify ,I trained as a plumber and did a electrical course on a part time basis,when i got quiet i started fitting kitchen ,you have to be multiskilled to be successful

Gerard, i used to run a site for a plumbing company (on plumbing side) however kept laying me off and 'using' me when he wanted so i went self employed

I hated it...fact of not working all the time and doing all the harder parts of finding work, phone calls, estimating and not getting it feeling like wasting my time 'peed' me off and werent for me.

I now work for someone (i only have gas and lpg), majority of his work is biomass boilers, oil and lpg and boiler repairs/servicing so im learning ALOT which i dont feel i could of by myself.
I made a conclusion that self employed isnt for me, i gave it a shot and werent for me.

Only think i do miss though is answering to myself and have to remember i have a boss lol i still act my ways as i was before and know a few plumbers who have offered me partnership, job offers from large holiday parks (working away from home 90% of time) maybe ill do it when im older :)

Only you can make the choice mate :)

Btw im 24 and served my time when i was a younger lad lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employed Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ level 2 plumbing and Heating and then further on to gas engineering. I work full time (Self-employed)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock