Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Serious venting problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dangerm50

moved into a flat last week a 2nd floor 2 bedroom flat
the second bedroom has a smell coming for it and thought asit was closed for a month it probably wanted freshening with windows open butsmell got worse over few days we noticed saturday that there is a vertical ventsize of a envelope on a attached plasterboard section standing out form innerwall which is the bathroom wall other side
We took it off and noticed its the main soil waste pipecoming from bathroom and dropping downwards to ground floor imagine but smellis really disgusting
Shouldn't this vent be on a outer wall venting smell outside ?
It is making my wife and i really ill each day after a weekbeing here with all windows open now 24 hours a day

IMG_1302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's probably an Air Admittance valve within the boxing.
It may be stuck open.

It'll look like this on top, although may be Grey; http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floplast-ax110-black-air-admittance-valve-black/35001

posted update photo of inside vent this surely should be out side rather than venting in a bedroom

so it doesn't have to be outside venting is it replace the top bit then please advise it important stop wife been ill

Just change it. Nice to see the boxing is vented. Be interesting to see if there's a firesleeve at floor level.

The Durgo / AAV is designed to let air into the soil pipe to prevent syphoning on sinks etc.
It shouldn't vent into the room.

If when the AAV is replaced / repaired the WC is slow to drain away then there's a blockage in the soil pipe lower down and someone has fiddled with the AAV to disguise the fact.

the attachement was replace dtoday was in abd way been stuck opemn for a year or two the vent had paper stuck over the hole to cut down smell at first and worn the paper away anyway a lot fresher now everything seems ok
Had to cut bug hole in the plasterboard to get to it as it was boxing well and truly good
Now have a door to keep eye on it seems

Thank you everyone

Spoke too soon it was ok till today when it started to rain and had smells coming through from time to time I am confused the plumber and landlord state will come out once more and change the lower seal holding the vent But after that we have to prove the smell to a estate agent who looks after the house and they have to smell it to believe it after that but its random smell
Why would it still smell after a new vent fitted
also its raining right now today so could it be a factor somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Serious venting problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock