Discuss should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for mon

fair play to you

Re: should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for mon

I agree with smudger!

The real crime with these fast track course providers, is that they tell you after the 6129 you are a fully qualified plumber and can go out installing bathrooms and the like. They dont mention anything about getting experience or apprentiseships . . .

This and the fact that they are still advertising that there is a shortage of plumbers even now - i saw another ad in the paper the other day!

Someone should sue their bum for false advertising man!

its true u do have to be qualified to do gas but some people doing gas are just short course people never done any plumbing let alone gas work they tick all the right boxes answer the questions right then let loose on gas now thats crazy i know a couple gas safe guys seen them work straight in never do tightness test first they just become causal

Yep and I must say as a student, that its best to be safe then sorry, you do find a lot of plumbers who don't have a qual but when it come to doing a practical stint are pretty good, and you can always learn a thing or 2.. But the thing that's in the back of the mind is to get the qualification finished, and if you're a looker you'll catch on the practical in theory the real way of how to do the job and the MAIN thing is the "properties" that particular job involves and so on...

Spanner I like your location, Better news for the team today, no ofence to villa boys. Pleased your enjoying the training, the most important thing to being a good plumber is remebering the theory and applying it with the experience. Unfortunately some do what they think they can get away with and it give the industry a bad name.

Last edited:

This is an interesting discussion and here is my view from the outside

'Proper' regulation like GasSafe will probably be a step too far.

That said I don't see why plumbers should not all have to reach a certain level of competency - regardless of what training method they initally took.

Those that have paper qualifications get immediate certification, and those that dont have formal qualifications could have access to a test to confirm their skills

-----------

Perhaps one method that I haven't seen mentioned...

Plenty of industries require the worker to have a set of qualifications before they can call thenmselves something.

Why not create a new title like 'accredited plumber' for people who have proved their competence. it then becomes illegal to use that title unless you have been accredited - much like it would be illegal to call yourself a solicitor or whatever

this could then be administered by some trade body that do little mroe than check competency and list it on a website

----

GasSafe isn't perfect but people do have SOME aareness of it, which is better than nothing

Someone has mentioned that the authoirities couldnt deal with every case of a rogue tradesman, but i spose the idea is that a new title would soon become accepted as the standard for any plumber and anyone going around faking it is open to prosecution.

it used to be simple, qualifications were proof of competence, but when they altered the quals to a tec cert only without need for any expereince we now have qualified people who have never ever worked as plumbers. if they hadnt designed a short cut we wouldnt have this problem

i think part of the problem is anyone can go around calling themselves a plumber, it makes it hard to distinguish who knows what. there is no link between qualifications and title, whereas if you go to a chartered accountant you know that in order to become chartered they have done *soemthing*

sure there will be dodgy people everywhere but this is just 1 extra safeguard.

i doubt the average joe considers what qualifications their plumber has (assuming they can do the job properly) but perhaps they would care a bit more if they knew there was a standard to achieve and that most good plumbers would have bothered to achieve that standard.

quals dont make a blind bit of diffremce theres still bad work out there ,i done tiling with no experience except tiling dvd ,s and working with someone who,d done it and it didnt mean i was anygood cos showing someone and doing it yourself is totally diffrent but i can prove the work av done so am ok, well said smudger am like you

the one that gets me is,doing the gas with no plumbing knowelage, how can ye do it,ie having to change y plans to combi,s etc i no people whove only done the gas

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting thread.

The Scottish approach has merits I think,and there's no doubt it's too easy to get 'qualifications'. I also think the early post about having to have a recognised qualification before being allowed to start up in business is good.

I certainly think it's true that the general standard of work was better when an apprenticeship was the only way into the trade.I started my apprenticeship in 1988 and qualified 6 years later(2 years improvers). The first 2 years at college were block release,4 weeks at a time,it stands to reason that this type of training will produce better standards(in all trades)Of course there were bad plumbers then also,but over the course of 4 years they would get found out and dropped by the wayside. It's far easier to stay the course and get qualified if it only takes 12 weeks!

There are still apprenticeships around but from what I see they are much scarcer these days,I do think that generally the cream rises to the top and if someone is dedicated and good at the job they will do well and end up in the job they want.
Smudger raises some very good points and I like the idea of investing more in vocational subjects at school, that should be explored further.

Ultimately customers need to be more discerning in who they employ and that will always be difficult when price is the overriding factor and quality comes a poor second.I can count on one hand the number of times I've been asked to show my Gas Safe or Oftec card!

I'm sure many in the trade would say we have enough regulation already and skilled as we are,the job isn't really comparable to,say, a pilot or a doctor,for whom the selection and policing has to be far more stringent. I do agree that we need to tighten up the standards within the industry however,and fast track courses are doing nothing to help achieve that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
I am a DIYer that is looking to address piping under my en-suite floor, whilst I am undertaking a major re-ferb of the room. With reference to the...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation. Existing boiler is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock