Discuss should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for mon

so we can say that the conclusion this thread has come to is that the government could start by banning all fast track courses in plumbing then? or at least the ones that run when people dont have any experience in the industry or dont have a company willing to give them experience.
I cant understand why anyone would pay 6 grand to a fast track centre and come out worse than a first years apprentice and then are let loose on the general public.

Gas is regulated so is oil etc etc but badly installed plumbing and particuarly sanitation systems can be hazardous to peoples health if not installed with the proper understanding and in the correct way.
also people who dont have correct experience can cause lots of damage to peoples houses as they dont really know what they are doing and will probably flood the house.

I think this has now been discussed from every angle and every one can safely say that there will be not one single change made to the current set up anytime soon which is a real shame as single parents and the elderly up and down the country will keep getting charged for plumbing work that they cant afford and then will have to pay again to get it fixed i feel sorry for them as a person who calls there self a plumber or any other trade name should not be allowed to do so without proving competence rant over

Re: should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for mon

I think one more thing thatr could help is for instance insurance companys will not pay out for any water damage unless the work caqrried out was from a time served plumber this would then force customers to think twice about who they employ to do work in there house.
I think this would be the best angle to hit it from

I think one more thing thatr could help is for instance insurance companys will not pay out for any water damage unless the work caqrried out was from a time served plumber this would then force customers to think twice about who they employ to do work in there house.
I think this would be the best angle to hit it from
wont work,
not every one has insurance, its not compulsory.
i and the wife for over 20 years=no insurance and no real need to untill recently we have it free through the bank.

simples is just to make it illegal so you can be arrested for practicing without a licence just the same as if your driving. let the customer rat on them.

A person who calls themselves a Plumber should have integrity and be able to carry out what he or she claims they can.

As has been pointed out in mails qualification is not the answer. Some registered and qualified people seem to make more mess than an unqualified one. Licensing will not help either only drive up prices in an already expensive repair industry.

Just make it against the law to do bad Plumbing and police the industry properly.

how can they make bad plumbing law? its subjective, laws need to be black and white.
proper quals are the answer

I am wondering if in the future it might be a good idea to internationalize a licensing scheme for plumbers? This way, knowledge (and enterprises like water conservation) could be pooled, and techniques and their implementation advanced. Besides, then I could think of using this professional credential to see so much of the world outside the UK, since I could finance my travels by working on the hoof.

this point i am making here has nothing to do with the law just what other countrys seem to think of your current set up for example and this is a fact a guy from scotland who has done his apprenticship in scotland applys to work in australia providing he passes all criminal checks etc is accepted no problem a guy who has done his training in england under your current system ie nvq applys to work in australia he will find it twice as tough and will need to sit more exams than the guy who is snjib registered and served his time in scotland this is a fdact google it up.
Now if this does not tell you the current set up you got going on is not flawed then i dont no what does basically people know the quality of plumber being produced due to this fast track culture cannot be accepted.
scottish qualifications are accepted anywhere no problem are nvqs? so a guy who done his nvq the correct way i.e. 3 or 4 years apprenticeship can be tarred with the same brush as the guy who fast tracked as they have got same qualification on paper very very strange how it was allowed to get to this stage

The JIB grade is accepted all over the world probably, because it is not solely based on qualification but also on track record as well as capabilities. In other words you have to have put in the time and done the work before or similar to get a grade. That is a simple common sense approach.

I can't understand people relying on qualification all the time. Would you go skiing with an instructor who had only read about it in a book?

By the way when I worked as a training officer you could usually get a fee for submitting C and G questions. So any qualification would be based on what questions where accepted for the exam and that would depend on what the training officers knew about Plumbing.

One student I had, had passed his HVCG somewhere but was taking it again. I asked why and he said "In class we all did the projects together it never tested me" the questions where all multi choice and I just guessed lucky for the answers. Honest guy!

But he had no confidence in himself to know what he was doing despite being qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:

The JIB grade is accepted all over the world probably, because it is not solely based on qualification but also on track record as well as capabilities. In other words you have to have put in the time and done the work before or similar to get a grade. That is a simple common sense approach.

I can't understand people relying on qualification all the time. Would you go skiing with an instructor who had only read about it in a book?

By the way when I worked as a training officer you could usually get a fee for submitting C and G questions. So any qualification would be based on what questions where accepted for the exam and that would depend on what the training officers knew about Plumbing.

One student I had, had passed his HVCG somewhere but was taking it again. I asked why and he said "In class we all did the projects together it never tested me" the questions where all multi choice and I just guessed lucky for the answers. Honest guy!

But he had no confidence in himself to know what he was doing despite being qualified.

may be summit skills and the jib should be doing more to combat this type oif thing.
yes you can get people who are very good at exams but have no real understanding of how to a carry out the job with there hands.
and multi choice questions? i hope that staement is not correct as if mukti choice usually straight away 2 answers will be totally wrong and even a monkey would know this so the guy has only 2 others toi pick from and let me guess if he gets wrong he gets another chance?
I think people like bernie who seems to know what he is talking about should be getting asked from the powers that be for his input in changeing things for the better in this industry.
I got family in building trade in england who have seen my work and told me good plumbers are hard to find these days as the bad ones out number them now wow change needs to bhappen soon

how is your capabilities judged on jib card? when i had an advanced installers card years ago it just needed signing by an employer, anyone will do that to get rid of you...or was that just me in my early 20s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to should government make it law to be qualified plumber to do plumbing work for money? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
I am a DIYer that is looking to address piping under my en-suite floor, whilst I am undertaking a major re-ferb of the room. With reference to the...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation. Existing boiler is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock