Search the forum,

Discuss Should I scrap combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tilernotplumber

Hi all,I need advice please,I renovated a 1970s bungalow some 6yrs ago and done away with all tanks in loft plus hw cylinder and had a local plumber fit a WARMFLOW combi oil 70he , this has been nothing but trouble never breaking down as such just minor leaks meaning having to constantly replace seals/washer also replacing expansion vessel 3 times, however it is now dripping water from the main heat exchanger behind the expansion vessel but I cant locate the source at moment, The boiler is very accessible with flue going straight up through ceiling and roof runs 3xsmallish rads ,5xmedium rads and 1x shower no bath, should I replace boiler and go back to having a tank if so can tank be in loft as plenty of space up there, PS I am no plumber but often do basic plumbing as I often fit wetrooms and refit bathrooms.I am looking for a long term solution which will be more or less reliable cost is not prohibitive in finding a solution.thanks.

i dont do oil but my understanding from previous post on here is oil combis are not good news you do have two options regarding cylinders
1 gravity fed which needs to be lower than the tank that feeds it so could go in loft if the tank is raised above it
2 mains fed which providing you have sufficent mains pressure and flow can be fitted anywhere even on the ground floor so could go in a garage or boiler room
the mains fed is usually the better option for a shower
both cylinders are available in horizontal and vertical versions

Thanks for reply, my present boiler sits in kitchen on floor and the flue exits through top cover,I would like boiler with similar flue position if possible,mains pressure is good at approx 3.8bar, so which boiler is best,which tank is best also what size for two people having maybe 3 showers in total per day (me 5mins mrs 15mins!).Also could existing flue be used or are they maker specific?.

Nothing wrong with oil combo boilers, the Warmflow isn't the best. The majority of the problem is poor installation and maintenance. I have combis still going strong after 10yrs because they were fitted correctly and serviced annually.

Any oil boiler and/or mains fed cylinders have to be installed and commissioned by the relevant qualified engineers and notified to local building control.

If it's leaking and you have had three expansion vessels then somebody is either not very good at installing or not very good at looking after it. Nothing wrong with Warmflow, if fitted correctly. Try another engineer.

Hi all,I need advice please, PS I am no plumber but often do basic plumbing as I often fit wetrooms and refit bathrooms.I am looking for a long term solution which will be more or less reliable cost is not prohibitive in finding a solution.thanks.

Sorry about your problems. My advice will be: If you are not a plumber and cost is not prohibitive, why not get a plumber to do the installation for you? And please don't say: ''A plumber did the current installation:)''. Just post the job with the Forum and someone will be willing to ''help''.

Sorry if my original question implied that I would try to install myself as this is not the case, I wanted to know which system oil boiler is considered the best and which hw tank is considered good?

I'm with Simong try another engineer. If you have had 3 expansions there is a common theme going on there.

There is nothing wrong with oil combis in fact I quite like them (apart from trying to move the massive great things!) if installed correctly then they should last years.

I like grant boilers myself and I'm guessing that you are after an unvented cylinder? Have you got flow rate and pressure for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should I scrap combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock