Discuss Shower pump issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gorbsteruk

I have just had to replace my old shower pump as it sprung a leak, prior to it leaking when we had a shower the pressure would drop if you turned it to hotter side and be a very poor flow then other times it would be ok loads of pressure, also at the time the shower was doing this my hot water system was making some awful noises as if there was lots of air in the system? Finally the pump leaked and was removed.

I rent my house and the landlord hasn't replaced it as its not an essential and we have a bath etc ( the usual Bull) So after 3 months of waiting I have purchased my own pump the old one was a Grundfos 2 bar the new one is a Salamander CT75+, its been put in the same place as the old one to same pipes works ok but the issue I have is the poor flow from the shower it is no where near the same as the old one if I turn it to make it hotter the flow reduces even more its like having a electric shower, As the pump is new and works as it should do you think its an issue with the hot water cylinder ?

Would really like you opinions on this as its driving me mad

Cheers
Mike

I doubt if its anything wrong with the cylinder.

Is there good hot flow out of the other outlets? (bath, basin etc)

What sort of shower mixer is it? Does it have a partially blocked filter on the hot side?

I doubt if its anything wrong with the cylinder.

Is there good hot flow out of the other outlets (bath, basin etc?)

What sort of shower mixer is it? Does it have a partially blocked filter on the hot side?
all other outlets are fine
shower been in for years its Iflo? can't really read it , I think its time to replace it, think the water is supplied down the riser rail ill take picture later
thanks
Mike

Shower pumps sometimes come with flexible hoses which have built in quarter turn isolation valves. You would open and close them with a flat bladed screwdriver, are they both fully open? As mentioned above though if the hot water flow is good in the rest of the property then the cause is more than likely pump related. I've had one and when I took the flexible hose off and there was a big chunk of rubber sitting in the pump blocking the hot inlet. If the inlet side does have an isolation valve you could disconnect it from the pump and then place the hose pointing in to a bucket and carefully open the isolation valve to see what the flow is like straight from the pipe, if it's good then the problem could be the pump, if it's bad then you need to work backwards up the pipe to track a possible blockage. Just a process of elimination is all.

You mention in your original post that this used to happen with the old shower pump, before it broke and got replaced.

This makes me think that the problem lies in the original installation, although it might be deteriorating over time. Obviously you can't be sure over an internet forum, but it usually makes sense to check simple things like filters first.

I agree your shower mixer is the first thing to check. Filter in mixer on the hot side is very commonly blocked as hot cylinders contain slight scum in the water.
The air noise you hear might be due to lack of flow with the shower valve, but it could be due to the hot draw off to the pump being wrong and drawing air in.
The old pump leaking might be just old age with it, but they can leak at the seals due to incorrect plumbing to them. Too hot water or/and no air free hot water will damage pumps

Is it just the shower that has a poor flow?
By the way you definitely shouldn't have to be buying a pump and trying to sort this yourself when you are renting, it's the landlord's job - that's what you pay him for, to maintain the house. I'd check your rights with the local council and report him if I were you...

Is it just the shower that has a poor flow?
By the way you definitely shouldn't have to be buying a pump and trying to sort this yourself when you are renting, it's the landlord's job - that's what you pay him for, to maintain the house. I'd check your rights with the local council and report him if I were you...

Report the landlord for what? The OP still has a fully functioning bath and the cost of re piping the shower correctly and supplying a new pump might be too high a price for the landlord right now!

The landlord needs to maintain the house...If the house was supplied with a shower, if anything goes wrong with it then they should be paying the costs and sorting it out

The landlord will turn round and state it's not economic to replace or they will say the rent will have to go up if it's changed.

I'm a contractor for a estate agents and no landlords want to pay for anything, I went to a house nearly.4 months ago because they have a leak and it's damaging the kitchen unit, the landlord still hasn't given to go ahead to me to fix it. I also went to look at a house just after Christmas to look at renovating it, this included a new bathroom. After all my running around he decided he's just going to sell it how it is. Well, 6 months later it's still for sale.

You get some good ones that are happy to do what needs doing but they're the rare ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock