Discuss Shower waste hits joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcgregory

Hello,

Just bought a shower tray only to find the waste is slap bang over a joist.

I really don't want to build a step up.

Can I .. hear me out first .. cut the joist and use trimmers. Lots of them?

Thanks

i do this all the time, cut sections out of joists to run pipework. just dont go too deep into joist! halfway max.
anyway, you really dont want to install a shower tray slap bang on the floor, as-
1/ all waste piping must be accessible
2/ if the waste trap starts to leak and you have no access, its ceiling below chopping time!
3/ low height trays are great for smashing your toes into!!
the industry standars is to support the tray on 3''x2 cls timbers, allowing waste trap access, and then fit a upvc trimming strip around it and seal it up.

You should only notch any type of wooden joist a 1/3rd of the through.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I would need to remove the section of the joist completely, it is spot on, couldn't have lined it up better if I tried :(

I'm considering - in no order:

* cutting the joist, but laying 2 new joists each side.
* We may be able to get a Merlyte Tray Panel 145mm high - sounds like raising the tray is the sensible option anyway?
* trying to swap it with Bathroom Village (I'm sure the waste on the tray in the showroom was in a diff location).

Many thanks again. I was hoping to get trimmers etc. in place before my plumber turns up next week.

i do this all the time, cut sections out of joists to run pipework. just dont go too deep into joist! halfway max.
anyway, you really dont want to install a shower tray slap bang on the floor, as-
1/ all waste piping must be accessible
2/ if the waste trap starts to leak and you have no access, its ceiling below chopping time!
3/ low height trays are great for smashing your toes into!!
the industry standars is to support the tray on 3''x2 cls timbers, allowing waste trap access, and then fit a upvc trimming strip around it and seal it up.

sorry but you need a quick look in the building regs (the info is also in the gas training notes) you cannot cut a waste pipe half way down a joist, this will cause serious structural damage

modern house joints are built to min spec ie there is no leeway in cutting out too much, or they will fail. Proper victorian joists can take a little more damage and keep working ok, or so most previous plumbers and electricians seem to believe when I look around my old house!!

Maximum depth of notch in a floor joist is 1/8th of the depth of the joist - so in a 200mm joist (8") a 25mm (1") notch is allowed, in a 150mm (6") joist it's just 18.75mm (3/4").

Also, if you wanna be pedantic the notch should be no more than 1/4 of the way along the span from the supporting structure and no closer than 0.07 from the support.... and if you wanna be really, really pedantic the notches shouldn't be cut square but should be 'U' shaped in the corners (though you would definitely get a gold star in your exercise book if you do that one)

As for cutting halfway through the joist, or even 1/3rd of the way....Yee Haa !! John Wayne, eat your heart out !!

Why don't you use a Easiplumb tray (tray on legs)? - you can get a heavy resin tray with feet that screw directly into bosses embedded in the resin so they are really solid. Some of them are quite low profile and fitted with a high flow waste trap they don't stand much higher off the floor than a standard tray. If it's going against a stud wall use Aquapanel tile backing board and use an adhesive/sealer (eg. Soudalls Fix-All) between the board and tray then it's going nowhere.

Dan

Never Never cut a joist!!!!!

Totally ignore what the second poster wrote - this is very very wrong!

Change your tray or buy a riser kit

Last edited:
Seriously, big thanks for all the responses. It was a bit of a panic last night when we measured up. Off to order a riser kit now. Then I can get the noggins in under the shower and bath this weekend, all set for the plumber and electrician next week to drill them out again :)

BTW it's an 1898 Vic terrace with 2x7 joists, well in on the first floor anyway. The kitchen seems to be 2x3, doh :(

Now if only I could find the soil pipe downstairs, 5 ft dwarf walls under the house and no sign of it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower waste hits joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock