Discuss single lever tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beepalm

have a Nabis single lever tap in my bathroom hand basin but it is getting very difficult to move it either to hot and cold or up and down. I took the small screw cover off which is in the tap pillar but could not see a screw there to remove - I was then going to take the top of the tap off to see what was causing this stiffness. Should there be a screw there or does anyone think it could be an allen key which is needed? Any help gratefully received thanks.

A picture might help. Usually on taps there is a small cover which you lift off with a Stanley knife or small screwdriver. Underneath there's sometimes a screw to undo the handle and then you can attack the main part of the tap. Some taps do have a tiny grub screw (removed using an allen key).

In the main you should look for a removable cover or small handle that unscrews off then continue from there. Look for joins in the chrome and see how it might be fitted together.

fitting instructions? or were they thrown away?

once you have the tap apart you will need to remove, regrease and reassemble the cartridge

Should be fine then

thanks v. much to you both for such speedy replies - you are stars!! I have removed the small cover but will try the allen key now. The tap was fitted by a "rogue" who left nothing behind, apart from a smell!! Thanks again.

maybe a torch will help but i would expect from that cover cap it will be a small allen key

doubtful a cover cap is not covering anything

if all else fails send a pic through

Thanks Tom I have successfully removed the top of the tap - it was a small screw which was deeply inset - what happens next! I presume I have to remove something else called the cartridge - could you talk me thru that? I will try and attach a picture. Thanks. DSC00659.jpg

From the top to the chrome is the cartridge. Turn the water off (might be an isolation valve under the basin). Then out with a spanner and undo it (brass nut shaped part), then find a replacement and fit.

Sounds easy. First trouble might be removing it without damage. Might be safer to remove from the basin first but hopefully you won't need to do this as tap is not too old. It'll take an effort though as they're fixed quite well at the manufacturer. Finding a replacement won't be easy. Take the part to a plumbing merchant and then another merchant and then another ...!

When you replace make sure the pipe connection to the tap is water tight as well.

Good luck - and if you manage it you'll make the local plumbers happy as finding replacements can be a right menace!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to single lever tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever...
Replies
Views
Hi. Novice here! Bathroom mixer tap was getting 'sticky' and I so sprayed some wd-40 silicone lubricant through some of the gaps - unfortunately...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Good morning, I recently had an extension, new bathroom and new en-suite fitted. Prior to the works the hot water worked. Now we have moved...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tap is drippping and I wanted to try and replace the washer myself but am struggling to get the top part off. I have removed the lever...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding the diverter on my bathroom taps. Please see attached picture. The diverter lever is very stiff and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock