Discuss Solvent weld question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi chaps,
Had a job last week where I had to convert from solvent weld waste pipe to 40mm compression/pushfit waste pipe.
The customer is a landlord and wants everything as cheap as possible, I didn't have much of a run of pipe to work with so ended up solvent-welding a piece of 40mm polypropelene pipe over about 4 inches of the solvent weld. After about 15 minutes it was still a bit loose but after an hour it was solid. I didn't have room for an adaptor as it was tight up against some other pipework.
Question is:
Will this hold?

No. Solvent glue only works on ABS or Mupvc. You need a multifit fitting.

Polyprop doesnt sovent weld. You need to get a SW to push fit converter fitting

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll have to play Tetris again in this bathroom. There's no access to the back of the bath and only about 2 inches between the bath/toilet/ped :(

Expansion and contraction of the pipe when hot water is run through it will cause the solvent to eventually fail as there is no chemical bond being formed as what happens on solvent weld systems.

This is the reason I carry untold amounts of waste fittings at all times, and keep them topped up, you may have gotten away with CT-1 in fact you probably will have but not ideal. Comp coupler or solvent weld better of course though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solvent weld question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help? I have been searching but with no luck. I am trying to fit a Duravit shower trap which has a 50mm outside...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a preference to use solvent weld or compression fittings for waste pipes?
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3...
Replies
Views
Morning All, Just after some advice as I have been asked to plumb in a sink and washing machine waste for a new kitchenette. The other side of the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock