Discuss Splashing water noise in boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Truman

I've recently had a new combi boiler and new radiators fitted (replaced an open vented system) and when it starts up on a demand for CH, there's a reasonably loud splashing/trickling water sound from inside the boiler. It sounds like someone pouring out a bucket of water! The noise dies down after a minute or so. The boiler is holding pressure OK, no leaks underneath it and radiators are heating as expected, inhibitor was added. The system has been fitted a few weeks now and I had expected this noise to gradually disappear as I thought it was air.

I had mentioned it to the RGI originally upon commission as it did it when it first fired up but he wasn't concerned and just said air will make its way out of the auto air valve. Obviously I can't check this as it's internal to the boiler and I'm well aware I’m not allowed to remove the front cover. I've bled the radiators on a few occasions now and got a little air out, but the boiler 'splashing' noise continues upon start up for CH. If it’s just air then why isn’t it collecting at a high point? The boiler is downstairs so I’d expect air to make its way to the upstairs radiators and stay there.

Anyone got any ideas? Is it common? Could air be getting trapped in the boiler each time it shuts off? I’d have thought they’d be designed not to encourage air to collect in them?

It sounds like air and it will come out of the auto air vent in the boiler aslong as he has opened it up to allow it to do so.

Well it's been a month now and the noise isn't getting any quieter. I'm wondering if the auto air valve has been opened or left closed. If it was closed then wouldn't the air still make its way round the circuit and upstairs where I could bleed it out of a radiator? The noise only happens on start up so if its air then I presume it moves around the system each time the boiler is fired up, as the noise soon disappears, but then re-appears when starting from cold.

Afraid you'll have to get your rgi back to check it. You cannot remove the boiler casing unless you are a gsr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Splashing water noise in boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock