Search the forum,

Discuss air lock in hot water cylinder coil? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Ive had to replace the pump isolator valves as they were leaking. All done and working but struggling to get air out. Rads are all good but when the boiler starts and stops there is odd sounds but mainly coming from inside the HW tank, sounds like water falling so im guessing air in the coil. There is what i think is an air valve near the 3 way valve but i dont get air or water from it. will attach image when i work out how. Any help appreciated.

Can you slacken the compression nut about a half turn or so on the HW cylinder coil where it enters the cylinder, then pull back on the pipe until air/water comes out, re tighten compression nut.

Highly unlikely the coil isn’t full does the hot water heat eg do you have hot water ?

Highly unlikely the coil isn’t full does the hot water heat eg do you have hot water ?
I do have hot water. if you put ear on tank you can hear water running/falling type of sound. theres also for want of a better word a wooshing kind of sound when the pump starts. Is that bit on the end of the pipe near the 3 way an air release?

The reason why you don’t get air or water from it is that people tighten them too much and the rubber washer gets pushed into the the air outlet opening so in essence it’s blocked if you take it off you will see a hole in the washer and the air hole is blocked. You can unblock it but you need to be quick as the air will escape then water. Has happened a few time to me over the years theses being blocked

The reason why you don’t get air or water from it is that people tighten them too much and the rubber washer gets pushed into the the air outlet opening so in essence it’s blocked if you take it off you will see a hole in the washer and the air hole is blocked. You can unblock it but you need to be quick as the air will escape then water. Has happened a few time to me over the years theses being blocked
ive just taken the top off and as you can hopefully see in the image it looks like rubber in the hole. The cap has a rubber washer in the top with what looks like was a centre bit thats missing and im guessing thats what in the hole now. should the hole just be open as in nothing inside? if thats correct is it just a case of prising that bit out and should get air/water?

ive just taken the top off and as you can hopefully see in the image it looks like rubber in the hole. The cap has a rubber washer in the top with what looks like was a centre bit thats missing and im guessing thats what in the hole now. should the hole just be open as in nothing inside? if thats correct is it just a case of prising that bit out and should get air/water?

should of also asked what it the correct name for this part incase I need a new cap

I do have hot water. if you put ear on tank you can hear water running/falling type of sound. theres also for want of a better word a wooshing kind of sound when the pump starts. Is that bit on the end of the pipe near the 3 way an air release?

Yes it’s an air vent

You sure your not hearing flow noise turn the pump down does it still happen

Might be Because the pump valves are full flow where as before they were restricted ?

Yes do it with the system cold and poke something down there with a towel below and cap in hand ready to put it on once uou
Hear air escaping

Yes it’s an air vent

You sure your not hearing flow noise turn the pump down does it still happen

Might be Because the pump valves are full flow where as before they were restricted ?
Im 99% sure its not the pump sound. just heard that sound of air/water moving at the boiler. will give it a poke later once cooled down. The pump valves were fully open before so put new in the same

Reply to air lock in hot water cylinder coil? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock