Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss suggestions of how to move forward with ideal calssic rs250 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some temp readings on my boiler that is kettling.

would someone be helpful and tell me if it looks like the pump ok or not? also who I should approach getting it fixed/serviced in the Boston area. id like an engineer who can fix rather than replace.

pump setting 2:

0min 22 flow pump running boiler off diff 0
1min boiler on 1min later boiler making low hissing sound

5min 34 diff 9
7min kettling
10min 38 diff 9-10
15min 43 diff 10
20min 46 diff 10
25min 50 diff 11
30min 53 diff 12
35min 57 diff 13
40min 62 diff 14
45min 67 diff 16
50min 71 diff 17-18

last reading just before timer turned off, the boiler stat was about to trip also, roughly 90secs after the 50min reading 73 flow diff 19. so it seems the higher the flow temp goes the bigger the differential. is that normal?

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is.
Put up with kettling.
PROPPER power flush and reconfigure system so it no longer pulls in air.

or the best one... It's and old boiler, with a cast heat exchanger. Some were never cast correctly and no matter how you clean them it will always kettle. So bite the bullet and get a new condensing boiler fitted.

Best advice I can give is.
Put up with kettling.
PROPPER power flush and reconfigure system so it no longer pulls in air.

or the best one... It's and old boiler, with a cast heat exchanger. Some were never cast correctly and no matter how you clean them it will always kettle. So bite the bullet and get a new condensing boiler fitted.

think I might consider a heat pump setup instead if ive goto replace it.

think I might consider a heat pump setup instead if ive goto replace it.

Probably the best way to go cypher007, replace a boiler with circulation problems and stick in a heat pump, wouldn't bother with a powerflush either, not all they are rated. :banghead:

An elderly but good boiler, inject some noise silencer into the system, ought to do the job.

You could try some cleaners or silencer but most cast iron heat exchangers kettle when they get a bit older.

thanks for the advice, though I have kinda tried most of the suggestions. what worries me is the banging knocking more than the crackling sound. is the heat up time for a boiler of this age normal? its only running maybe; 6 rads on trvs, 1 no trv, and the rest pretty much off due to the trv's being set low.

on the treatment side of things, I do wonder if I have added enough. the system comprises of:

9 single panel rads, some quite small.
3 doubles.

id like to get it serviced, id like the burner pressure checked and the heat exchanger exterior fins cleaned/checked for debris. anyone local to me?

I put some x400 in, as a last throw of the dice, and it seems to be working. the boiler is definitely quieter. but it seems the flow temp is lower, I need to check but on the face of it it would appear to have improved the flow to the point where the boiler cant keep up with the heat being taken out.

incidentally I think the boiler is probably undersized, as its a 14kw. how would I go about sizing a new one?

Your installer should size the boiler for you if you go for a new one.

hopefully he will. trouble is like our old house where we had a warmfront install, they fitted a 18kw to a 3 bed semi and it was too much. I just want a ball park figure so I can double check the installer isn't oversizing because he cant be bothered to size it properly.

Most new boilers can modulate down to 10 - 15 % of rated capacity.
So as long as you don't over estimate the heatload required you should be withing operating range of the new boiler installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to suggestions of how to move forward with ideal calssic rs250 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock