Discuss sunday in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Seem to be getting more and more calls on sunday afternoon for work and jobs in the week what do you lot make of this .

Not sure if its disrespectful or just annoying lol

Starting to get on my wick too. First I ask is it an emergency? If not tell them to call back in the week. Think I will have to get a new phone number charged at premium rate. They can call anytime they like then.

Isn't it just part of the trend?

When I was a kid, everything was shut on a Sunday except the church and the pub.

Now, we more and more expect to be able to do business 7 days a week. Dozens of plumbers will buy stuff from their favourite merchant today, albeit via the website.

You may just need to configure your business communications a bit differently - have a separate mobile so that it goes to voicemail, put a "contact us" email on your website etc.

Also we now all have Voicemail so its easy to let them leave a message and filter out who you think warrants a call back and under what time scale.

Two sides to the coin. A lot of people only have free time on a Sunday so hence try and organise things on a Sunday. Then there's those that see Sunday as a day off and get cheesed off when people try to interrupt it. But that's why the answerphone was invented.

As a general rule I wont phone anybody on a Sunday or after 7 on a night.

Two phone lines, one private (other for work calls answer phone always on,) Mobile is on silent evenings & weekends

Two phone lines, one private (other for work calls answer phone always on,) Mobile is on silent evenings & weekends

Same, I've even changed the messages to open Monday to Friday. I don't mind regulars though.

Somebody rang Saturday afternoon when we were eating out and I'd had a skinful, I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message.

I was too sloshed and it was a busy place, I don't really mind people ringing...after all their money will look better in your pocket than theirs.

I would always give the person I am ringing some consideration - there is no way I would ring anyone on a Sunday for a trivial matter.
Bad leak of water, any oil leak, heating stopped in cold weather (or with elderly or kids there), a sole toilet not flushing in a house with more than one occupant, then fine, but not a stranger on a Sunday asking for me to come and quote for a new oil boiler including system flushed and stating she has already got a few prices! I didn't bother as I reckoned I already disliked her without ever meeting her.
I also do not like texts coming on a Sunday that aren't important.

Last edited:
I offer 24/7 emergency call out so when I get a call I usually expect it to be an emergency, if its not I get a bit annoyed,
If a customer wants to arrange work on a Sunday text or email me with what they want and ask me to call them back, don't interrupt family/friends and my time for a dripping tap

And yet none of us think twice about dropping ray a pm at 9.30pm to order a boiler and flue! Haha madness. When the phone doesn't ring that's the time to feel peeved.

And yet none of us think twice about dropping ray a pm at 9.30pm to order a boiler and flue! Haha madness. When the phone doesn't ring that's the time to feel peeved.

More than 40 people have placed orders via the website since we closed on Friday night, and very grateful we are to them.

Had someone text me about some work they want for tomorrow.......couldn't possibly say who tho.......

ordered same spares online today, didnt involve ruining the sunday lunch or evening tv for them though :)

However our RNLI lot have decided to have exercises on a sunday now, just had 4 hours out at sea in a white frothy maelstrom and an hour of getting it back in the boathouse, no one better call me tonight, I am knackered. Oh, I also had to watch my brunch launch itself over the stern, took me by surprise as I wasnt feeling at all seasick, the one girlie had been a bit green and filled her plastic bag to the brim though :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't bother me one bit of people call me on a sunday. I am running a business which I want to make a success of and try and expand. If that means talking to people on a sunday, a Saturday or 9pm on a Tuesday night I will. If the phone rings there is potentially a new customer there who is willing to spend money, therefor I am happy to answer.

Sounds like you all are too busy for Sunday's work :) if you don't want those ppl send them to me I will take them with a hug :D

Sounds like you all are too busy for Sunday's work :) if you don't want those ppl send them to me I will take them with a hug :D

And you'd be welcome to them, I'm far to worn out. I just want enough work for my executive life style now.

My way of looking at it is if I can answer and not doing anything then not a problem, if I'm short on time I find out what they are after and tell them I will phone them back when I can. I never answer though if I've had a drink as chances are I will forget who or what they want.

I point blank refuse to go out though unless it's major and they are willing to pay.

Went to have a look to quote for a back boiler to combi yesterday (Saturday)
Today at 11 o'clock they called and sent a text asking why they don't have the quote yet, can I call ASAP

The back boiler hasn't worked for 2 years, the house is a dump, they want to supply the boiler and rads and their son will take up any flooring

Went to have a look to quote for a back boiler to combi yesterday (Saturday)
Today at 11 o'clock they called and sent a text asking why they don't have the quote yet, can I call ASAP

The back boiler hasn't worked for 2 years, the house is a dump, they want to supply the boiler and rads and their son will take up any flooring

Hurry up Scott. How long does it take to write 6 grand?

I got one this morning, f75 on a ecotec, so pressure sensor knackered if its as per normal, do you want me out today? or shall I pop in on monday?. well will you charge to come out today? eeeeeeeeeerrrrrr yes!, no leave it I will get vaillant out they cover 24/7 and will have the part, ok then was my response, they then asked me to tell them what was wrong so they dont get ripped off! My answer, I cant discuss gas repairs as may have go yourself, byeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sunday in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning Everyone! It is Easter this weekend and a lot of the kids are already off! Have you got any plans for the long weekend? Are you going...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock