Discuss Supporting pipes under floorboards + insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

kasser

Gas Engineer
Hi,
How do I support with clips pipes run under a floating timber ground floor? The joists are too small to notch or drill into and in any case, there's plenty of space underneath. Where do you place the pipe clips if running perpendicular to the joists?
And if plastic pipes, this means lots of clips, every 300 mm for Speedfit! Lots of floorboards going up?
I've never had to do this yet.
Now I've got a job fitting central heating in a bungalow. Pipes could go under the wooden ground floor or over in the loft. Which route would you take? What insulation would you use? Finally, how do you fit the insulation snugly around with plastic pipe clips in the way?

Attic and down for me, but I can see the benefits of going under the floor too. Being old, if I was going under the floor, I would pipe in copper - safer from a leaking perspective, longer lasting, less clipping and fewer floorboards to lift.

For the attic route, pipe in plastic, possibly with copper droppers

Copper also for me. It will require very little support.
You could still use push fit fittings to the copper pipes if you wished so to avoid difficult soldering and fire risk.

You can get spacers for talon clips, that would give space to allow for insulation. Insulation doesn’t stop freezing, just which type depends on how long before it could freeze. Also I’d say up and over, if they ever fit a difficult floor (glued laminate) then if there’s an issue it’s harder to repair.

Do you fit the pipe clips on the bottom face of the joist facing the ground, when running pipes perpendicular? I've done it before for a gas pipe, not easy and it was just a couple of clips. I can't imagine having to do that every 300mm.
I would prefer to run it up and over but it does mean using more copper where the pipes are exposed, and more pipes generally.

Do you fit the pipe clips on the bottom face of the joist facing the ground, when running pipes perpendicular? I've done it before for a gas pipe, not easy and it was just a couple of clips. I can't imagine having to do that every 300mm.
I would prefer to run it up and over but it does mean using more copper where the pipes are exposed, and more pipes generally.

I can’t visualise what you mean, however you could use insulation around the pipe and use nail in clips, a bit harder to do, but achievable.

Ah I see what you mean now, I did try and envisage that, but was struggling. Depends on how much hammer room you have, use nail in ones, but I’d go with using copper so less spacing as opposed to every 300mm.

Reply to Supporting pipes under floorboards + insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back