Search the forum,

Discuss suspicious about a contractor who is asking me to quote for work .... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_d_o_t

Gas Engineer
Hi People,

Just wanted abit of advice on your thoughts:
before christmas i was contacted via my web sites "contact us" box, off a contractor who said he had been given my name by someone and he was doing a project local to me if i was interested pricing.

i met with the site manager who showed me around a large house having a large extension and plan is to gutt the full house and renew everything inc plumbing.

i priced, won the job and want a start next week and strait away sent me 2 other large projects to price also and as you imagine the quotes are not cheep so thought i best run a check on him and found nothing on the name they are trading under at companies house.
but his name shows 4 dissolved companies from past.....

he keeps banging on about the big jobs he dose.....bit odd for a company not registered!

so i asked him who he got my number off, he replied : "a friend of mine local to manchester, i am originally from worsley" (not a strait answer)

so i asked for a name and he has replied with someone i have never herd of!

if he is genuine with these jobs he's a ideal contact but something is not right :skep:

run a check on him and found nothing on the name they are trading under at companies house.
but his name shows 4 dissolved companies from past.....

he keeps banging on about the big jobs he dose.....bit odd for a company not registered!

so i asked him who he got my number off, he replied : "a friend of mine local to manchester, i am originally from worsley" (not a strait answer)

so i asked for a name and he has replied with someone i have never herd of!
:

Smells fisher than a fishy thing on fishy Friday! Have you asked other local trades if anyone knows him?

i know!

update! ........get this
just searched his buisness address on google street view and its a mailbox place! like one of them po.box places!

A good relationship with credit control at local builders merchant is useful in these situations. Go with details of his previous companies.

If it sound's too good to be true.....it proberbly is.......trust your gut feeling ...stay away....regards Turnpin:8:

You may well get paid okay for the first one, it will be the second or third he will get you on ;)

If it looks like ****, smells like ****.
Probably is ****.

Find out who USED to do his work and ask them.

Walk away now before you get really stung. if my spidey senses start tingley i walk away doesnt matter if i lose out. if you smell rat your inner gut feeling will generally be right.

+ four! Don't go there, I got taken for four and a half grand a few years ago. To say I learned my lesson on that one is an understatement!!!

i will move this somewhere private!!.........

thats better, if you fancy the gamble or are desperate, feckin drop it like a hooker with clap!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it sound's too good to be true.....it proberbly is.......trust your gut feeling ...stay away....regards Turnpin:8:

Totally agree with this, over the years I've learnt to trust my gut as the two times I've gone against it, it's cost me money.

Do it labour only and insist on payment every Friday. If he's genuine, he won't mind, if he's a bent get he will!

It's a hard one to call but I would say don't be tempted even if you have no other work on ! I have found the worry over being paid or not breeds mistrust and slows you down on the job . He may be perfectly ok but you have to trust your gut instinct on this even if he is .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to suspicious about a contractor who is asking me to quote for work .... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock