Search the forum,

Discuss Swapping joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went out to a toilet today and the customer said you might need to change the floor board as well as it has got a bit wet.

Well that was the understatement of the century I stood on the floor and it sank by about 2". So I ripped the floor up and had a look and the 1 joist has started rotting, so I said you need to get that replaced before I can do anything.

She has then asked me if I can do it. I said I've never done one before but will have a look.

It's only a short joist about 5 ft long and looks like it's been bodged before ( a massive great hole either end not patched up and a bit of 2x2 between the affected one and the joists either side) should it just be a case of cut old out and slide new ones in the holes and then patch up around it?

Replacing joists is easy, I've done a hole house, repairing parts and replacing entire floors,
Cut the old joist out and then slide the new one in (tantalised is best) but you may have to open one end up buy making the hole bigger above the original hole to get the joist in, then use slate to pack the joist level and sand&cement in place, then noggin between for extra support

That or you can use a big heavy duty joist hanger at one end but its best if you can avoid that if possible

db6302a070cf7d265ecbf564a53942df.jpg

That's the only one I took of the joist itself

I want to try and avoid that if I can help it.

You can always cut the joist so that is the size of the gap +one hole should be 4" roughly, then put a joist hanger either end and slide the joist so that its lapping into both holes by the same amount plus the just hanger to give you a full 4" support

not even rotten, most of the ones I have replaced are where the loo is sitting at a 45 degree angle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Swapping joist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock