Discuss System or Heat Only Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

John.g

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
A (if) CH system has a very high head loss due to improperly sized pipework and long runs and possibly partially blocked pipes and requires a UPS2 pump running at its 8M head to feed 21 rads with a theoretical output of 25kw at a 20C dT.
A fairly old Vaillant 438 boiler is being replaced, the boiler is range rated to 24kw so a 25kw replacement boiler should be adequate.
One choice is a 25kw system boiler but because of the very high head required which will still, more than likely be ~ 6M after the system is cleaned, then a LLH or CCts will be required as the max head after passing through the (system) boiler HEX will probely only be ~ 2M at its rated flow rate of 17.92LPM, 1075LPH, also the internal bypass has a maximum setting of 4M, (before the HEX).
The other choice is to install a 25kw heat only boiler and use the existing UPS2 pump and the existing ABV. Question is, assuming a 8M head is still required (even though unlikely) at the rated flow rate, does this cause any problems for the boiler HEX, etc?.

Last edited:
Either it all depends if the hex can take the rated flow and pressure loss (at that flow)

Me personally would go system and ccts with a 1-8 pump externally

There's also UFH (with its own manifold pump) + HW cylinder, would that entail 3 pumps in all, two new, one each for the UFH & the HW cylinder + the existing 8m for the CH?.

Yes if using a system boiler or you could do one modulating pump and one of the ufh etc

Is there a particular way of arranging these flow/return Ts to avoid undesirable mixing?.

Attachments

• CCT Sketch.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
Do it like a header system and cct the primary if you want I can draw it out etc

Attachments

• john cct.png
    john cct.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 12

Reply to System or Heat Only Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock